Topics in Behavioral
A. Awakenings next Friday
- Third article next Wednesday
B. Somasensory cortex between parietal and frontal lobe
- Primary motor cortex in frontal cortex
C. Functional neuroanatomy
- Sensorimotor system
- Neuropsychological disorders- when things go awry. Ex: Parkinsons
- Reward centers
D. The sensorimotor system
- Sensory information enters the brain. Ex: Stepping on somethings sharp or putting
your hand on the stove.
- Can have these responses without brain (spinal chord reflexes.)
E. Sensory receptors
- Ex: skin senses-heavy pressure, vibration, light touch, skin stretch
- Temperature receptors, pain receptors
- Chemical receptors, pressure receptors, light receptors
- Thermoreceptor: Na+ and Ca++ channel sensitive to temperature.
- Mechanoreceptors, propioreceptors (stretching of a muscle)
- Senses go to spinal cord, then make their way to the brain - There is some anatomical dissociation of different types of info coming in. ex: touch
vs pain. Both coming into spinal cord, but differences in how they ascend into brain
stem and into the brain.
F. Dorsal – Column Medial- Lemniscus System
- Touch and proprioception