PSY 351 Lecture 6: Bipolar Disorder and Cyclothymia

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Western Washington University
PSY - Psychology
PSY 351
Stephanie Grimm

Psych 351 4/27/17 Abnormal Psych Bipolar Disorder and Cyclothymia A. DSM 5 change= give separate chapter in between depressive disorders and schizophrenia. - Acknowledgement of genetic relatedness - Bipolar I and II, Cyclothymia. B. DIGFAST symptoms - Distractibility- poorly focused, multitasking - Insomnia- decreased need for sleep - Grandiosity- inflated self esteem - Flight of ideas- complaints of racing thoughts - Activities- increased goal-directed activities - Speech- pressure or more talkative - Thoughtlessness- “risk taking”- behaviors (sexual, financial, travel, driving etc.) C. Can be positives to mania- ex: increase in goal related activities—but mostly very harmful. D. Inflated sense of self leads to riskiness. All symptoms interplay with each other/ interact with each other. E. Bipolar I - Person must meet requirement of a manic episode - 3 or more symptoms in a week or more - If irritability is present, must have 4 symptoms for diagnosis. - Depression does not have to be present but it typically is. - 90% of people with bipolar I will experience depression. - Historically more severe but current understanding is that one should consider them equitable. - Experience of bipolar I and II feel depressed over course of time. This can lead to misdiagnosis/ problems with diagnosis. - Prevalence= .06% F. Bipolar II - Depression has to be present - Hypomanic –must have some symptoms of mania G. Similar number of symptoms for bipolar I but must be 4 days at least. H. Cyclothymia - Less symptoms than hypomania - Not enough symptoms to meet requirements for depression - Must have a little for each. - 50% who could qualify for bipolar disorders never seek help. I. Being an adolescent has experiences that are very similar to symptoms - If typical of age and context/ not cause disability to function then leads towards typical adolescent behavior - Something to consider when diagnosing - Disagreement on accuracy of diagnosis. - Continuum of normal J. More normal/ asymptomatic behavior than depressive/ manic episodes. K. Different expression of symptoms across
More Less

Related notes for PSY 351

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.