MAC 143

Introduction to Media

Miami University

Introduction to major mass communication theories as a context to examining some major issues surrounding mass media in American society. IIB. CAS-B.
Get Access

24HR Notes for MAC 143

Available 24 hours after each lecture

Exam Solutions for MAC 143

MAC 143 Study Guide - Fall 2018, Midterm - Newspaper Preservation Act Of 1970, Metropolis Daily, Commercial Press
Exam
by OC2540294

MAC 143 Exam 3 Practice Question 60 Multiple choice questions 1. Company that owns several papers throughout the country A. Interstitials B. Newsworthiness C. Newspaper chain D. Boutique Agencies 2. Individualism A. In mos...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
All Professors
MAC 143 Study Guide - Fall 2018, Midterm - Teen Pop, Reality Television, Multiple Choice
Exam
by OC2540294

MAC 143 Exam 1 Practice Questions 47 Multiple choice questions 1. Hypodermic Needle model A. simply means that each subject has an equal chance of being placed in either group. B. Links the mass media, social psychology, a...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
All Professors
MAC 143 Study Guide - Fall 2018, Midterm - Optical Fiber Cable, Internet Service Provider, Internet2
Exam
by OC2540294

MAC 143 Exam 2 Practice Question 20 Multiple choice questions 1. increase in commercialization A. Govt Regulations of AirWaves B. Marconi and WirelessTelegraph C. formalist music analysis D. Issue with democratizing intern...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
All Professors

Semesters

All MAC 143 Materials | Fall 2018

MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 30 - Models 1, Digital Revolution, Norman Rockwell
24HR
Premium

Copyright Control Vs. Free Culture I. Government Control of Media A. Standard models 1. authoritarian model a) British government first developed for printing ...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 27 - Artificial Scarcity, Public Good, Vertical Integration
24HR
Premium

Media Economics: Creating Buzz I. Media as a Culture Industry A. Media as Our Culture 1. Culture Industry a) Culture (1) Mo...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 23 - Classical Hollywood Cinema, Master Shot, Establishing Shot
24HR
Premium

The Early Art of Making Movies A. Principles of Classical Hollywood Cinema Develop (1909-1917) 1. Establishing shot (master shot) a) Shot of entire space the scene will take place in b) Typically a long-shot c) Helps orien...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 25 - Kenji Mizoguchi, Ingmar Bergman, Cinemascope
24HR
Premium

Blockbusters and Indie Films I. The Industry Responds to Crisis A. Downsizing 1. Number of films made 2. Staff 3. Sell off archives to liquidate/keep ...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 24 - Oligopoly
24HR
Premium

The Studio SystemBusiness of Making Movies Then I. The Studio System A. Importance in Film History B. Oligopoly control 1. Recording industry 2. Network era industry C. Vertical Integration 1. Way of gaining control in a c...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 21 - Serpentine Dance, Kinetoscope, Lowculture
24HR
Premium

The Early Art of Making Movies I. Analyzing the Film Industry A. Production 1. How and where films are made B. Exhibition 1. Place where people can see the...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 20 - Mattachine Society, Imagined Communities, Fraternities And Sororities
24HR
Premium

Magazines and the Politics of Community I. Key Terms A. Socialization 1. The idea that each of us is the way we are because we are the product of socialization 2. You are trained to think, behave, and act a certain way 3. ...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 19 - Belvedere Vodka, Semiotics, Song 2
24HR
Premium

MAC 143 PART 2: Semiotics and the Analysis of Popular Culture Texts (CONT) A. Myth (ideology) 1. Myth is a deeply held story that a society tells about itself 2. Newsweek example a) Diversity within the photo (1) Different...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 18 - Semiotics, Connotation, Denotation
24HR
Premium

Semiotics and the Analysis of Popular Culture Texts I. Definition A. Analyzing how we make sense of things B. System of explaining why we do things C. Science of studying signs ...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 17 - Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, 2 Broke Girls, The Butler
24HR
Premium

MAC 143 Politics of Representation Exam 3 I. Defining Key Terms A. Representation: re-presenting reality 1. Recounting 2. Re-edit and choose what to include in the storyline B. Politicsbattle over the uneven distribution o...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 15 - Satellite Television, Abc Studios, Ugly Betty
24HR
Premium

MAC 143 Lecture 9: Post-Network Era: From a Mass to a Niche Nation Exam #3 I. The Post-Network Era A. Definition 1. Period in history when big 3 networks increasingly lost their control ...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 14 - The Andy Griffith Show, 77 Sunset Strip, Surfside 6
24HR
Premium

MAC143 When/Why ABC, NBC, and CBS Mattered PART 2 Exam #3 I. Network-Era Programming Strategies A. InnovationImitationSaturation cycle 1. Cloning a) New show w...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 13 - Hawaiian Eye, 77 Sunset Strip, Surfside 6
24HR
Premium

When/Why ABC, NBC, and CBS Mattered Exam #3 I. Industrial Transformations in the Late 1950s A. Decline of Drama Anthologies and Rise of Episodic Series 1. Drama anthologies were complic...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 12 - The United States Steel Hour, Lighting, Single-Camera Setup
24HR
Premium

MAC 143 Lecture 7 PART 1: How TV Shows WereAre Made Exam 3 I. 3 Periods in Network TV History A. PreNetwork Era (1948 to ~1960) B. The Network Era (~1960 to ~mid1980s) C. PostNetwork Era (~mid1980s to present) D. End of TV...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 11 - Nbc Red Network, Nbc, Blue Network
24HR
Premium

MAC143 Lecture 6 PART 2: Commercial Broadcasting Is Born Exam #2 A. Transformation of RCA 1. AT&T became aggressive a) Wanted to monopolize ...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 9 - Reginald Fessenden, Heterodyne, Telegraphy
24HR
Premium

MAC143 Lecture 6 PART 1: Commercial Broadcasting Is Born Exam 2 I. Terms A. Transduction 1. encodingtranslation of soundwaves into an electrical conversion 2. Diaphragm vibrates into a signal B. Modulation 1. Process of ch...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture 8: When Music Gets Industrialized
24HR
Premium

MAC143 Lecture 5: When Music Gets Industrialized Exam 2 I. Music, Culture and Media Technology A. Participatory music culture (sheet music) 1. People talked about uniqueness of music a) Something people engaged inparticipa...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture 6: Lecture 4 Internet Anxieties MAC143 Part 3
24HR
Premium

Lecture 4 Internet Anxieties MAC143 Part 3 A. Confounding aspects of the Internetdigital communication 1. featuresaffordances that can be good and problematic at the same time 2. The Internet lets more people access and pr...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture 5: PART 2 Lecture 4: Internet Anxieties
24HR
Premium

Lecture 4 Internet Anxieties MAC 143 Part 2: 1. Convergence a) CBS Sunday story (1) Every kind of media comes to us in one device (a) Encoded in the same format (2) Consequences (a) Shift masses amounts of power from provi...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture 4: PART 1 Lecture 4: Internet Anxieties
24HR
Premium

Internet AnxietiesLiving in a Digital Nation Exam 2 I. Digital Communications Encoding A. Digital era 1. Digital technology is the dominant way of communication now 2. Any time we communicate we encode a) Encode = translat...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 2 - Industrial Revolution, Sut Jhally, Digital One
24HR
Premium

Kim Kardashian vs. Hamlet: Mass Culture and Hierarchies of Taste EXAM #1 I. 5 Eras in the Historical Development of Media and Communication A. Why we discuss Eras 1. Powers shift ...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 3 - Bromance, Media Play, Launch Services Program
24HR
Premium

How Media Have Been Studied Exam #1 I. Multidisciplinarity and Study of Media A. Mass Media 1. Journalism 2. Sociology 3. Anthropology ...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
MAC 143 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018, Lecture 1 - Super Bowl, Spoken Language, Banksia Media
24HR
Premium

Introduction EXAM 1 I. Introduction: Imagining a Life Without Media Technologies II. Course Overview A. How the class will work B. How to succeed in this big lecture class III. Some Key Definitions A. Two ways of thinking ...

Media and Culture
MAC 143
Ronald Becker
Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit