- Find the effluent concentrations from a PFR and a CSTR, each treating the same pollutant and each with a detention time of 60 min. The pollutant undergoes a first order degradation reaction with k=0.1 min-1 and the influent concentration (for each case) is 100 mg/L.
- Consider that the CSTR described above is divided into two CSTR in series with an overall (total) detention time of 60 min. The rate constant and influent concentration remaining unchanged (i.e., k=0.1 min-1 and the influent concentration is 100mg/L). Calculate the effluent concentration (i.e., from the second tank) for the following cases:
- Detention time of the first tank is 15 min and of the second tank is 45 min.
- Detention time of the first tank is 30 min and of the second tank is 30 min.
- Detention time of the first tank is 45 min and of the second tank is 15 min.
What is your general conclusion with regard to the optimal way of diving the total detention time between two tanks in order to achieve the highest removal efficiency(conversion)?