California State University - Long Beach
In each of the following complete sentences, draw one line under the subject and two lines under the verb.
- 1. Ozone levels are decreasing over the north pole.
- A pickle lies neglected in the refrigerator.
- Many people read best-selling novels during the summer.
- The dictionary provides writers with useful information.
- Exercise improves one's health.
Each of the following contains two independent clauses. Correct the sentence by making one of them into a dependent clause.
- We went to the museum, Bob went to the ball game.
- You are my sister I love you.
- I don't like crowds, I enjoy going to the beach.
- The temperature dropped it started to rain.
- I get my change, I look for a penny.
- You were gone the plumber came.
Rewrite the following paragraph. Change the fragments, run-ons, and comma splices into complete and correct sentences. Add punctuation marks if necessary.
Cats make great pets, you have to be affectionate with them. Not always coming when you call them. Because they are rather independent animals. Many people prefer dogs, you can train them to come, or sit, or fetch a bone. With cats, on the other hand, you have to be willing to let them live their own lives if you attempt to train them you may become discouraged. If you put two cats in the same room you are in for quite a treat. They chase each other, usually all in fun and when one catches the other the real show begins. Often they will cuddle and clean each other sometimes they will fight. The wise pet owner will know when to break up a fight and when to let go since it is only play for the cats. They can be great company if you understand them.
Mark "C" for a complete sentence. Mark "F" for a fragment.
Make the fragments into complete sentences by adding a subject, a verb, or both. Draw one line under the subject and two lines under the verb.
- 1. Doris is working late tonight.
- On the boat.
- Had lunch already.
- He won the Grand Prix last year.
- They must have left already.
Science Grade 9:
Mr. Zajac wants to conduct an experiment to see if Red Bull energy drink makes plants grow faster. He takes plant #1 and puts it on a ledge that gets lots of sunshine. He waters this plant with 100 mL of water everyday. He takes plant #2, puts it on the ledge beside plant #1, and pours 100 mL of Red Bull on it twice a day, once when he wakes up, and once before he goes to bed. (3 marks)
a. Is this a fair test? Explain why or why not. (2 marks)
b. What would you recommend to Mr. Zajac to fix his experiment?