University of Iowa17 Calvin Hall, Iowa City, United States
- Student life
- Student services
- After graduation
- Notable Locations
- Libraries and Study Areas
- Residences on campus
- Campus Clubs & Associations
- School Reviews
About University of Iowa
The University of Iowa was founded in 1847 as a research university with an international reputation. The University of Iowa is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), a consortium of 61 world-renowned universities in the United States and the University of Toronto and McGill University in Canada. It is also famous for belonging to the Big Ten which is one of the top ten "public Ivy League Universities". The University of Iowa is well-known for its medical school, law school and business school. Overall, the University of Iowa was ranked the 71st top university in the United States in 2015.
The campus is located on the banks of the Iowa River and spans across 1,700 acres. The student population consists of 24,000 undergraduates and 8,000 graduates. The main campus was designed by an architect named D. Elwood Cook. At the center of the campus there are five buildings: Old Capitol, Schaeffer Hall, MacLean Hall, Macbride Hall and Jessup Hall. The university library system is also the largest in the state and holds more than 200,000 rare books and five million bound volumes.
The school is known for having a vibrant social scene with many parties occurring throughout the semester. Much of the festivities and event occur on the pedestrian mall in downtown Iowa City. The school also has over 500 student organizations that offer a wide range of extracurricular opportunities to the student population.
The school has 22 athletic teams and the school's mascot is a hawk named Herky. Historically, the men's wrestling team has been the most successful sports team at the university, winning 23 of the school's 25 NCAA championships. Notable alumni of the University of Iowa include George Gallup, Ashton Kutcher and Tom Brokaw.
- Psychology 649 Documents
- Sociology 421 Documents
- Communication Studies 313 Documents
- Economics 279 Documents
- Biology 215 Documents
- PSY 1001 - Elementary Psychology Psychology
- SOC 1010 - Introduction to Sociology Sociology
- ECON 1100 - Principles of Microeconomics Economics
- PHIL 1033 - The Meaning of Life Philosophy
- MGMT 2100 - Introduction to Management Management
- 10 University of Iowa Library Resources You Need to Know - 18 days ago
- Top 5 Residence/Dorms at University of Iowa - 103 days ago
- 5 Buildings You Need to Know at UIowa - 112 days ago
- Top 10 Professors at the U of I - 113 days ago
- 10 Courses You’ll Actually Enjoy Taking at University of Iowa - 249 days ago