University of Maine5781 Wingate Hall, Orono, United States
- Student life
- Student services
- After graduation
- Notable Locations
- Libraries and Study Areas
- Residences on campus
- Campus Clubs & Associations
- School Reviews
About University of Maine
The University of Maine was founded in 1862 as The Maine College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts. Interestingly enough, the university was chartered under an act by Abraham Lincoln. The name officially changed to the University of Maine and it opened in 1868 with only 13 students. The University of Maine is a public university with an enrollment of over 9000 with nearly 2000 graduate students.
UMaine is rated in the top 50 of the nation's 'Green Campuses.' It is located in Orono, Maine the home of Stephen King), about two hours north of Portland. It is the nation's only land grant university located on an island. It is considered the flagship of the Maine University system. The university values the liberal arts and grounds all of its majors and fields of study in a liberal arts curriculum. Admission to UMaine is competitive and highly selective. UMaine is also an internationally renowned research institution.
The university houses a state of the art recreation center available for students. They also sponsor the Maine Bound Adventure Center which leads outdoor activities: camping and hiking. The university helps students make use of the beautiful natural surroundings in the Maine wilderness.
- Micro and Molecular Biology368 Documents
- Psychology277 Documents
- Biology214 Documents
- Chemistry192 Documents
- Anthropology170 Documents
- ANT 101 - Introduction to Anthropology: Human Origins and PrehistoryAnthropology
- CHY 251 - Organic Chemistry IChemistry
- BMB 280 - Introduction to Molecular and Cellular BiologyMicro and Molecular Biology
- BIO 208 - Anatomy and PhysiologyBiology
- BIO 100 - Basic BiologyBiology