Study Guides (286,576)
AUS (7,914)
ACU (92)
History (1)
HIST224 (1)
All (1)
Final

HIST224 Study Guide - Final Guide: Survivalism, The Crowns, Marxist Historiography

7 Pages
Spring 2018

Department
History
Course Code
HIST224
Professor
All
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Table of Contents
In your view, how and why did the French Revolution
become increasingly violent from 1789 to 1794? ....... 2
Introduction: ...................................................................... 2
Early episodes: .................................................................. 2
Why: .................................................................................. 2
Committee of Public Safety: ............................................. 2
Terror/Vendee ................................................................... 3
Analysis: ............................................................................ 3
Conclusion ......................................................................... 3
What do you see as the key changes wrought by the
French Revolution in social structure and social
relations? To what extent did these changes grow out
of developments prior to 1789? .................................. 4
Intro: .................................................................................. 4
Old Regime Structure: ....................................................... 4
Further limitations: ............................................................ 5
Part II: Pre-1789 developments: ........................................ 6
Conclusion: ....................................................................... 6
In your view, how and why did the French Revolution become
increasingly violent from 1789 to 1794?
Introduction:
The period from 1789 to 1794, in which the Revolution became increasingly violent, represents a paradox
a revolution which supposedly stood for ‘liberty, fraternity, equality’, as codified by the Dec or Rights of
Man, came to encompass meaningless bloodshed and the arbitrary abuse of power. With the benefit of
hindsight however, it is possible to show that, in response to setbacks such as foreign invasion, continued
economic depression, a rejection of revolutionary values by the church and factionalism within the National
Assembly, the revolutionary leaders implemented the ‘the Terror’ out of necessity - they believed the
progress they had worked for over many years justified the use of violence to protect it. The FR was not
inherently violent, but rather experienced ‘teething problems’ that were understandable given the result of
sudden, dramatic change that had taken place over previous years.
Early episodes:
Early in the Revolution’s history, violence was ritualistic and purposive rather than random and irrational. It
also tended to be of symbolic nature. The invasion of the Bastille for example was planned to target a prison
a symbol of the Monarch’s absolute power to arbitrarily incarcerate his subjects. Episodes of early
violence were also not pervasive the British ambassador recorded in his diary that he felt safe about
strolling around Paris in 1789. Sociologist John Markoff also notes this in his analysis of violence against
landlords in the countryside, noting that most violence was targeted against social institutions rather than
individuals. This in many ways reflects the ideological underpinnings of the Revolution (comment on hand-
in hand thesis)
Why:
However, in the years following the formation of the National Assembly, a number of developments changed
the nature and role of violence
Firstly, from 1792 onwards, foreign armies began to invade the borders of French territory, necessitating the
issuing of unpopular decrees to conscript young Frenchmen.
Secondly, continued economic depression caused food shortages. Inflation increased to as high as 30%.
In addition to this, factions began to form within the National Assembly each with its own perspective on
what how the assembly should respond to imminent threats.
Most importantly however, French conservatives felt distain for a number of radical reforms imposed by the
National assembly, which limited the status of the Church. Marriage for example, was transformed from
being a religious act to being a secular act it became legally a contract between two willing individuals
equal before the law rather than a binding sacrament. Controversially, Priests were made to serve oath of
loyalty to the nation and parish elections implemented an oath which 90% of them of them refused. This
resentment was a key factor in the formation of the rebel groups such as the Royal and Catholic Army with
the aim of reinstating the monarchy.
Committee of Public Safety:
In April 1793, and in response to the threats, Robespierre and 11 other members of the National Assembly
took the initiative to form the Committee of Public Safety with the aim of centralizing power and using
whatever legal power was necessary in the name of the republic.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Table of Contents In your view, how and why did the French Revolution become increasingly violent from 1789 to 1794?....... 2 Introduction:......................................................................2 Early episodes:..................................................................2 Why:..................................................................................2 Committee of Public Safety: .............................................2 TerrorVendee...................................................................3 Analysis:............................................................................3 Conclusion.........................................................................3 What do you see as the key changes wrought by the French Revolution in social structure and social relations? To what extent did these changes grow out of developments prior to 1789?.................................. 4 Intro:..................................................................................4 Old Regime Structure:.......................................................4 Further limitations:............................................................5 Part II: Pre1789 developments:........................................6 Conclusion: .......................................................................6 1
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit