PHIL100 Study Guide - Final Guide: Epiphenomenalism, Mental Event, Causal Closure

83 views2 pages
24 Jul 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Say what the views called interactionist dualism and epihphenomenalist dualism have in common. Name one possible reason for preferring the latter view. Believing in physical and non-physical things in the world, used in many branches of philosophy, not just philosophy of mind. Physical things are bodies, non-physical are mental aspects. Physical events can cause mental events, and mental event can cause physical events. Hitting my hand with a hammer, physical event will cause non physical mind to feel pain which will send signal back to my hand and feel pain. Physical act has caused mental act which as cause another physical event. Physical events can cause mental events, but mental events can not cause physical events. Both agree that physical events e. g. my being conceived can lead to mental events. Both agree that physical events e. g. my being conceived can lead to mental events e. g. the development of my consciousness.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers