PHIL 1101 Final: Argument and Critical Thinking Exam Notes

258 views34 pages

Document Summary

An argument is also an attempt to persuade someone else of the truth of one statement by putting forward at least one other, purportedly true, statement as evidence for it, or as a reason in support of it. Reasons then are the statements the truth of which is supposed to constitute a justification for supposing some other statement to be true. Imperatives (requirements/commands/suggestions: explanation (tells you why or that something is the case, exclamations (i. e. statements, descriptions (an illustration of something that provides information, questions/interrogatives (requests for information, rhetorical questions (questions that are not meant to be answered, assertions (unsupported claim, abuse (personal insults, performatives (promises, bets, official verbal actions) They can be inner quotes i. e. cat, or outer quotes i. e. the whole quote: for example: the cat is black said the princess, can also have scare or shudder quotes, for example: the experts say that nuclear power is safe.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers