CHEM1101 Midterm: Thermodynamics recap

80 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor
Effect of Volume and Temperature Change on the System
• If e iease olue, thee ae oe positios possile fo the oleules. This esults i
more microstates, so increased entropy.
• If e iease tepeatue, the aeage kieti eegy increases. This results in a greater
distribution of molecular speeds. Therefore, there are more possible kinetic energy values,
resulting in more microstates, increasing entropy.
Entropy on the Molecular Scale
• The ue of iostates ad, theefoe, the entropy tend to increase with increases in
-temperature
-volume-
the number of independently moving molecules
Entropy and physical states
Entropy increases with the freedom of motion of molecules.
S(g) > S(l) > S(s)
Entropy of a system increases for processes where
gases form from either solids or liquids.
liquids or solutions form from solids.
the number of gas molecules increases
during a chemical reaction.
Third Law of Thermodynamics
• The etopy of a pue ystallie sustae at asolute zeo
is 0.
• Coside all atos o oleules i the pefet lattie at  K;
there will only be one microstate.
• S = k l W = k l  = 
Standard Entropies
• The efeee fo etopy is  K, so the alues fo eleets ae ot  J/ol K at  K.
• Stadad ola etopy fo a gas is geeally geate tha fo liuids ad solids. Be
aeful of size! • Stadad ola etopies iease ith ola ass.
• Stadad ola etopies iease ith ue of atos i a foula.
Entropy changes
Entropy changes for a reaction can be calculated as follows:
S° = nS°(products) mS°(reactants)
where n and m are the coefficients in the balanced chemical equation.
Entropy Changes in Surroundings
Heat that flows into or out of the system changes the entropy of the surroundings.
For an isothermal (constant temperature) process
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Effect of volume and temperature change on the system: if (cid:449)e i(cid:374)(cid:272)(cid:396)ease (cid:448)olu(cid:373)e, the(cid:396)e a(cid:396)e (cid:373)o(cid:396)e positio(cid:374)s possi(cid:271)le fo(cid:396) the (cid:373)ole(cid:272)ules. This (cid:396)esults i(cid:374) more microstates, so increased entropy: if (cid:449)e i(cid:374)(cid:272)(cid:396)ease te(cid:373)pe(cid:396)atu(cid:396)e, the a(cid:448)e(cid:396)age ki(cid:374)eti(cid:272) e(cid:374)e(cid:396)gy increases. This results in a greater distribution of molecular speeds. Therefore, there are more possible kinetic energy values, resulting in more microstates, increasing entropy. Entropy on the molecular scale: the (cid:374)u(cid:373)(cid:271)e(cid:396) of (cid:373)i(cid:272)(cid:396)ostates a(cid:374)d, the(cid:396)efo(cid:396)e, the entropy tend to increase with increases in. Entropy and physical states: entropy increases with the freedom of motion of molecules, s(g) > s(l) > s(s, entropy of a system increases for processes where. Gases form from either solids or liquids. The number of gas molecules increases during a chemical reaction. Entropy changes for a reaction can be calculated as follows: S = ns (products) ms (reactants) where n and m are the coefficients in the balanced chemical equation.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers