ECON1101 Study Guide - Final Guide: Natural Monopoly, Demand Curve, Market Power

69 views5 pages
16 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Monopoly
Monopoly - a market with a single seller of a product with no close substitutes.
A monopoly has market power - a firm's power to set its price without losing its entire share of
the market.
Price-maker - a firm that has the power to set its price, rather than taking the price set by the
market.
Barriers to entry - anything that prevents firms from entering a market.
Sources of Monopoly
1. Economies of scale - natural monopoly - a market most cheaply served by a single firm.
Depends on size of market.
2. Exclusive access to important inputs or technology
3. Patents and copyrights - peet othe fis fo dupliatig a opa’s poduts.
4. Government licenses
Profit-Maximising Monopolist
Profits = Revenues - Costs
Profits = P(Q)Q - C(Q)
Thinking on the Margin:
Monopolist maximises profits and produces where MR = MC.
MR = d Revenues/ d Q = d P(Q)Q/d Q
Or MR = P + Q (dP/dQ)
MC = d C/d Q
MR = P + Q (d P/d Q) < P since d P/d Q is negative.
Additional revenues from marginal unit (i.e. the Q0 + 1st unit) = P (i.e. area of A).
Lost revenues from other infra-marginal units = Q (d P/d Q) (i.e. area of B).
So MR < P due to the above lost revenues.
Since MR < P, the MR curve lies below the demand curve.
With linear D, the MR curve is also linear. It lies below the D curve and is twice as steep.
Thinking on the Margin:
Monopolists maximise profits and produce where MR = MC.
1. Where MR=MC determined profit-max QM.
2. D curve indicates price consistent with QM.
3. ATC curve indicates ATC consistent with QM.
4. Monopolist profits = [PM ATC (at QM)] x QM.
Note: For a monopoly, MR = MC, but MR does not equal price. Hence, for the monopolist,
price is not necessarily equal to MC.
The Generic Diagram of a Monopoly and Its Profits
The monopoly's production is determined at the point at which MR=MC.
The monopoly's price is determined from the demand curve at the point at which the QS = QD.
The monopoly's profits are determined by subtracting the total costs rectangle from the total
revenue rectangle. The total revenue rectangle is given by the price times the quantity
produced. The total costs rectangle is given by the ATC x Q produced.
If a monopoly finds that ATC > P at which MR=MC, then it runs losses.
If P < AVC, then the monopoly should shut down.
At Qhigh: MC > MR produce less.
At Qlow: MC < MR produce more.
Monopolists always operate on elastic portion of demand curve.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
At inelastic portion, reducing output lowers production costs, increases revenue, and raises
profits.
Hence, original output cannot be profit-maximising.
Monopolists Produce Too Little
The monopoly produces less and charges a higher price than the competitive industry would.
Monopolist producer produces where MR = MC but P > MR.
Consumers consumer where MB = P so MB = P > MR = MC and MB (to consumers) > MC (to
producer), i.e. not output efficient.
A monopoly creates a DW loss because it restricts output below what the competitive market
would produce. The cost is measured by the DW loss, which is the reduction in the sum of CS +
PS.
From social perspective, need to produce and consumer more.
Price Discrimination
Price discrimination different consumers pay different prices for the same good.
Reasons for downward sloping demand curve:
1. People differ in their willingness-to-pay or maximum price a customer will pay to
purchase one unit.
2. People may buy multiple units but demand reflects declining marginal value for
good.
Max profits: Produce QD where MRN=MC.
CS = Cons. Benefit Cons. Expd. = ABQNO PNBQNO = ABP
Prod. Revenues (Sum of MR) Sum of MC = ADQNO EDQNO = ADE
First-degree P.D. sellig eah uit of output at a pie eual to ue’s illigess to pa.
Demand curve is MR curve.
Max profits: produce QD where MRD=MC.
With first-degree P.D., monopolist output QD is efficient (MB=MC and total surplus is
maximised) but there are equity concerns.
Discriminating monopolist case:
o Cons. Surplus = 0
o Cons. Pay = willingness to pay
o Prod. Surplus = ACQDO ECQDO = ACE
Price discrimination or differences gives incentives for arbitrage.
Second-degree P.D. same price schedule offered to all buyers but they sort themselves
through self-selection.
E. uatit disouts - monopolist offers different (quantity, price) bundles - if price
discrimination leads a monopolist to increase its production, then it can help reduce DWL.
Monopolist knows there are different types of consumers with different demand. But, for
a idiidual osue, oopolist does’t ko hat tpe he o she is uatit, pie
bundles allows consumers to sort/identify themselves.
Third-degree P.D. monopolist can identify separate groups of buyers of a good who differ
in their demand for a good and charge different prices to these goods.
Ex. osues ith diff. pie elastiities of dead - because a monopolist has market
power, it can charge different prices to different consumers (depending on how elastic their
demand is) as long as it can prevent the consumers from reselling the good.
Why? Because it maximises profits. Charge higher prices for less price elastic group.
11. Product Differentiation, Monopolistic Competition and Oligopoly
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Sources of monopoly: economies of scale - natural monopoly - a market most cheaply served by a single firm. Depends on size of market: exclusive access to important inputs or technology, patents and copyrights - p(cid:396)e(cid:448)e(cid:374)t othe(cid:396) fi(cid:396)(cid:373)s f(cid:396)o(cid:373) dupli(cid:272)ati(cid:374)g a (cid:272)o(cid:373)pa(cid:374)(cid:455)"s p(cid:396)odu(cid:272)ts, government licenses. It lies below the d curve and is twice as steep. Lost revenues from other infra-marginal units = q (d p/d q) (i. e. area of b). So mr < p due to the above lost revenues. Hence, for the monopolist, price is not necessarily equal to mc. The total revenue rectangle is given by the price times the quantity produced. The total costs rectangle is given by the atc x q produced. If a monopoly finds that atc > p at which mr=mc, then it runs losses. The cost is measured by the dw loss, which is the reduction in the sum of cs + Ps: from social perspective, need to produce and consumer more.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers