ECON1102 Final: The AD-AS Model

34 views3 pages
17 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
The AD-AS Model
The AD-AS model examines how short-run fluctuations in real GDP and the price level occur and how
they affect total output.
The AD/AS Curve v Market Demand/Supply Curves
The AD curve is built from the demand expenditures side of the whole economy (C+I+G+NX) and
shows AD associated with different price levels.
Whereas, a market demand curve shows MB/ the willingness-to-pay for a given good at various
prices.
The AS curve shows how changes in the price level changes the amount producers in aggregate will
offer to the whole economy in the short-run.
Whereas, a market supply curve shows MC for producers in a particular market.
AD Slope Sign
Why the AD curve is downward sloping (i.e. the sign of the slope is negative):
1. The wealth effect - a change in the price level affects real wealth and hence consumption.
2. The interest-rate effect - a change in the price level affects real interest rate and hence
investment (primarily).
3. The international-trade effect - a change in the price level affects relative real price of
foreign and domestic goods and also international trade rates and hence net exports.
AD Slope Magnitude
The AD curve shows the relationship between the price level and the quantity of real GDP demanded,
holding everything else constant.
Changes in the price level are depicted as movements up or down a stationary aggregate demand curve.
So the relationships of C, I, G and NX to AD given changes in price level are all inverse, i.e. price level
increases reduce one or more of these components and make the sign of the slope negative.
The strength of the various effects makes the curve shallower or steeper, ceteris paribus (i.e. changes
the magnitude of the slope). Thus, if I is very sensitive to real interest rate changes as affected by the
price level, then the AD curve will be steeper than when I is not very sensitive to such changes.
AD Shifts
Slopes refer to movements along the curve. But the AD curve may shift when an exogenous shock
occurs.
Variables that shift AD curve:
1. Changes in gov. policies, eg: taxes, gov. purchases.
2. Changes in expectations of households and firms.
3. Changes in foreign variables in economies outside the domestic economy, eg: relative income
levels between countries.
1) Long-Run Aggregate Supply
Long-run aggregate supply (LRAS) curve - a curve that shows the relationship in the long-run between
the price level and the quantity of real GDP supplied.
The LRAS curve shows that, in the long run, increases in the price level do not affect the level of real
GDP. The LRAS curve is a vertical line at potential GDP.
1) Short-Run Aggregate Supply
The SRAS curve is upward sloping, showing that, in the short-run, firms will produce more in response to
higher prices (money is not neutral in the short-run).
This is because the price of inputs (i.e. L and K) tend to rise more slowly than the prices of final
products.
Three major reasons for the upward slope:
1. Money
Illusion
Refers to the idea that in the short-run people can 'misread' inflation as higher or
lower than it actually is.
People plan for the future based on their expectations of inflation. If actual inflation
during a period is different than expected, they can have a temporary illusion as to
the real value of wages or prices or interest rates based on a (temporary)
misunderstanding of what inflation actually is.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

The ad-as model examines how short-run fluctuations in real gdp and the price level occur and how they affect total output. The as curve shows how changes in the price level changes the amount producers in aggregate will offer to the whole economy in the short-run: whereas, a market supply curve shows mc for producers in a particular market. The ad curve shows the relationship between the price level and the quantity of real gdp demanded, holding everything else constant. Changes in the price level are depicted as movements up or down a stationary aggregate demand curve. So the relationships of c, i, g and nx to ad given changes in price level are all inverse, i. e. price level increases reduce one or more of these components and make the sign of the slope negative. The strength of the various effects makes the curve shallower or steeper, ceteris paribus (i. e. changes the magnitude of the slope).

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers