Study Guides (275,688)
AUS (8,086)
ANU (260)
STAT (12)
STAT1008 (12)
Bronwyn (12)
Final

STAT1008 Study Guide - Binomial Coefficient, Random Variable, Standard Deviation

3 Pages
Summer 2017

Department
Statistics
Course Code
STAT1008
Professor
Bronwyn
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Probability
11.1 Probability Rules
Event soethig that either happes or does’t happe is true or is ot true.
Probability of event (A) is the long-run frequency or proportion of times the event occurs.
Probability always between O and 1.
P(A) = 1 means A will definitively happen.
P(A) = 0 means A will definitively not happen.
If there are equally likely outcomes, then P(A) = no. of outcomes of event A/total no. of
outcomes.
Combination of Events
P (A and B), or P (A or B).
Additive Rule
P (A or B) = P(A) + P(B) P(A&B).
Use Venn diagram.
Complement Rule
P (not A) = 1 P(A).
P (not (A or B)) = 1 [P(A) + P(B) P(A and B)]
Conditional Probability
P (A if B) = P(A and B)/P(B), is the probability of A, if we know B
has happened.
You may also see this written as P (A I B).
This is read i ultiple ays: proaility of A if B, proaility
of A gie B or proaility of A oditioal o B.
Note: P (A if B) ≠ PB if A.
Multiplicative Rule
P (A and B) = P (A if B) P (B).
Equivalent form: P (A and B) = P (A) P (B if A).
Special Case: Disjoint
Events
Events A and B are disjoint or mutually exclusive if only one of
the two events can happen.
If A and B are disjoint, then P (A or B) = P (A) + P(B).
If A and B are disjoint, then both cannot happen, so P(A and B) =
Special Case:
Independent Events
Events A and B are independent if P (A if B) = P (A).
Intuitively, knowing that event B happened does not change the
probability that event A happened.
If A and B are independent, then P (A and B) = P(A)P(B).
11.2 Tree Diagrams and Bayes' Rule
Total Probability Rule
For any two events A and B, P(B) = P(A and B) + P(not A and B) = P(A)P(B if A) + P(not A)P(B if
not A).
If events B1, B2, through Bn are disjoint and together make up all possibilities, then: P(A) = P(A
and B1) + P(A and B2 + … + PA ad Bn).
Tree Diagrams
The initial set of branches show the probabilities from one set of events and the second set of
branches show conditional probabilities.
Multiplying along any set of branches uses the multiplicative rule to find the joint probability
for that pair of events.
Bayes' Rule
If A and B are any two events:
P(A if B) = P(A and B)/P(B)
Bayes’ Rule arious fors:
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Probability 11.1 Probability Rules Event something that either happens or doesnt happen (is true or is not true). Probability of event (A) is the long-run frequency or proportion of times the event occurs. Probability always between O and 1. P(A) = 1 means A will definitively happen. P(A) = 0 means A will definitively not happen. If there are equally likely outcomes, then P(A) = no. of outcomes of event A/total no. of outcomes. Combination of Events P (A and B), or P (A or B). Additive Rule P (A or B) = P(A) + P(B) P(A&B). Use Venn diagram. Complement Rule P (not A) = 1 P(A). P (not (A or B)) = 1 [P(A) + P(B) P(A and B)] Conditional Probability P (A if B) = P(A and B)/P(B), is the probability of A, if we know B has happened. You may also see this written as P (A I B). This is read in multiple ways: probability of A if B, probability of A given B or probability of A conditional on B. Note: P (A if B) P(B if A). Multiplicative Rule P (A and B) = P (A if B) P (B). Equivalent form: P (A and B) = P (A) P (B if A). Special Case: Disjoint Events A and B are disjoint or mutually exclusive if only one of Events the two events can happen. If A and B are disjoint, then P (A or B) = P (A) + P(B). If A and B are disjoint, then both cannot happen, so P(A and B) = 0. Special Case: Events A and B are independent if P (A if B) = P (A). Independent Events Intuitively, knowing that event B happened does not change the probability that event A happened. If A and B are independent, then P (A and B) = P(A)P(B). 11.2 Tree Diagrams and Bayes' Rule Total Probability Rule For any two events A and B, P(B) = P(A and B) + P(not A and B) = P(A)P(B if A) + P(not A)P(B if not A). If events B1, 2 , through n are disjoint and together make up all possibilities, then: P(A) = P(A and B 1 + P(A and B 2 + + P(A and B n. Tree Diagrams The initial set of branches show the probabilities from one set of events and the second set of branches show conditional probabilities. Multiplying along any set of branches uses the multiplicative rule to find the joint probability for that pair of events. Bayes' Rule If A and B are any two events: P(A if B) = P(A and B)/P(B) Bayes Rule various forms:
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit