HNN112 Study Guide - Final Guide: Constipation, Bassinet, Back Injury

154 views9 pages
1 Jun 2018
Department
Course
Professor
HNN112
RISK MANAGEMENT
Nurses play a pivotal role in managing safety and quality and need to be aware of what
costitutes risk i all health care eviroets icludig people’s hoes.
ILO 1: IDENTIFY HIGH RISK PRACTICES FOR NURSES
Potential sources of error fo uses ilude…
- Mishandling of blood and blood products
- Clinical handover
- The individual being a poor historian and having clinical conditions that compromise effective
communication (e.g. Dementia, speech impairment etc.)
- Deteriorating patient
- Hospital acquired infections
- Medication safety
- Documentation errors
- Inadequate falls prevention management programs
- Patient identification
- Manual handling
FACTORS AFFECTING SAFETY
- AGE AND DEVELOPMENT
Through knowledge and accurate assessment of environment, people learn to protect themselves from
injury, this is learned through experience and hence how children develop and learn affects their safety.
For example, a child would know not to touch a hot pan after they accidentally burnt their hand on one.
Older adults can have difficulty with movement and diminished sensory acuity that contributes to the
likelihood of injury.
- LIFESTYLE
This includes unsafe work environments, living in neighbourhoods with high crime rates, access to guns,
insufficient income to buy safety equipment (e.g. alarms) or make necessary household repairs and access
to elicit drugs.
- MOBILITY AND HEALTH STATUS
People who have impaired mobility due to paralysis, muscle weakness and poor balance/coordination are
obviously prone to injury from falls or as a result of prolonged bed rest. This also includes those weakened
from illness or surgery.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 9 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
- SENSORY-PERCEPTUAL ALTERATIONS
Accurate sensory perception of environmental stimuli is vital to safety. People with impaired touch
perception, hearing, taste, smell and vision are highly susceptible to injury.
- COGNITIVE AWARENESS
Awareness is the ability to perceive environmental stimuli and body reactions and to respond
appropriately. People with impaired awareness (sleep deprived, unconscious/semi conscious etc.) may
peeie stiuli that doest eist o hae alteed judgeet. Theefoe thei liial ad pshologial
conditions need to be observed and monitored closely.
- EMOTIONAL STATE
Etee eotioal states a alte pesos ailit to peeie o see eioetal hazads, ieasig
potential for injury. Stressful situations can increase injuries as well as substance abuse and depression.
- ABILITY TO COMMUNICATE
People with diminished ability to receive and convey information are at risk for injury, such as people with
aphasia, language barriers or poor literacy skills.
- SAFETY AWARENESS
People in unfamiliar environments will need specific safety information, such as about the equipment or
how to summon a nurse, which the nurse should always make clear. People should be shown how to
access relevant information relating to their safety and their loved ones.
- ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
Depending on the situation, a patiets suoudigs a eed to e assessed. Idiidual pesoal safet is
affected by health care setting, and nurses have an obligation to ensure this is safe for everyone.
SAFETY CONSIDERATIONS
- HOME
A safe home requires well-maintained floors and carpets, a non-skid bathtub or shower surface,
functioning alarms and strategically placed escape routes.
- WORKPLACE
There are many hazards in workplaces, such as in healthcare faulty equipment, unsafe systems at work and
environmental hazards. There are regulations and policies in place at different workplaces that employees
should be aware of. Nurses can cause dangerous situations due to human error, system flaws and
workforce fatigue.
Unlock document

HNN112
RISK MANAGEMENT
DIAGNOSING RISKS
A oad lael elated to safet issues is…
Risk for injury:
A state in which the individual is at risk for injury as a result of environmental
conditions interacting with the individual 's adaptive and defence resources.
7 suategoies ae iluded i this te fo he a use ishes to e speifi…
- Risk for poisoning: Accentuated risk of accidental exposure to, or
i
ngestion of, drugs or dangerous
products in doses sufficient to cause poisoning.
- Risk for suffocation: Accentuated risk of accidental suffocation (inadequate air available for
inhalation).
- Risk for trauma: Accentuated risk of accidental tissue injury (e.g. wound, burn or fracture).
- Risk for latex allergy response: Risk of hypersensitivity to natural latex rubber products.
- Risk for contamination: Accentuated risk of exposure to environmental contaminants in doses
sufficient to cause adverse health effects.
-
Risk for aspiration:
At risk for the entry of gastrointestinal secretions, oropharyngeal
secretions, solids or fluids
i
nto trachea-bronchial passage
- Risk for disuse syndrome: At risk for deterioration of body systems as the result of prescribed or
unavoidable musculoskeletal inactivity.
- PLANNING
When planning care to prevent accidents and injury, the nurse considers all factors affecting the
person's safety. The major goal for nurses is to prevent accidents and
injury
to
both person and nurse. To
meet this goal,
people often need to change their behaviour and may need to modify the environment.
Desired outcomes associated with preventing injury depend on the individual person's clinical,
physical and mental condition.
Unlock document

Document Summary

Nurses play a pivotal role in managing safety and quality and need to be aware of what co(cid:374)stitutes risk i(cid:374) all health care e(cid:374)viro(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)ts i(cid:374)cludi(cid:374)g people"s ho(cid:373)es. Ilo 1: identify high risk practices for nurses. The individual being a poor historian and having clinical conditions that compromise effective communication (e. g. dementia, speech impairment etc. ) Through knowledge and accurate assessment of environment, people learn to protect themselves from injury, this is learned through experience and hence how children develop and learn affects their safety. For example, a child would know not to touch a hot pan after they accidentally burnt their hand on one. Older adults can have difficulty with movement and diminished sensory acuity that contributes to the likelihood of injury. This includes unsafe work environments, living in neighbourhoods with high crime rates, access to guns, insufficient income to buy safety equipment (e. g. alarms) or make necessary household repairs and access to elicit drugs.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers