HNN227 Final: INFLAMMATION

103 views4 pages
HNN227
INFLAMMATION
DEFINE THE TERM INFLAMMATION
Inflammation is an adaptive response to injury that brings fluid, dissolved substances and blood cells into
the interstitial tissues where the invasion or damage has occurred.
The inflammatory response is a sequential reaction to cell injury and the second line defence against
invasion of pathogens. It neutralises and dilutes the inflammatory agent, removes necrotic materials, and
establishes an environment suitable for healing and repair.
Heat, radiation, trauma, chemicals, allergens or an autoimmune reaction may cause inflammation. The
itesity is depedet o the seeity of the ijuy ad the ijued pesos eatie apaity.
DESCRIBE THE PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF THE INFLAMMATION AND IDENTIFY WHERE IT MAY
OCCUR IN THE BODY
The inflammatory response begins when damaged tissues release histamines increasing blood flow to the
area, causing vasodilation. Increased tissue perfusion, in turn, causes redness and warmth, as more red
blood cells pass through the tissues, and blood (containing WBC or neutrophils as the first responders)
aies heat fo the odys oe to the oole peipheal tissues. These histamines cause capillaries to
leak, releasing phagocytes and clotting factors into the wound. Phagocytes engulf bacteria, dead cells and
cellular debris. Platelets move out of the capillary to seal the wounded area. There is normally a balance
between fluid leaving vascular spaces and fluid re-entering the system. But inflammation shifts this
balance, causing accumulation of interstitial fluid. The fluid build up, which follows this permeability
change, is seen as swelling (capillaries leaking).
Pain is caused by direct action on nerve endings of chemical agents released and pressure during
inflammation.
Any tissue or organ can become inflamed. Inflammation of ay ody pat is aed afte the site ith itis
after it (e.g. tonsillitis, appendicitis, endometritis etc.).
SUMMARY:
Vasodilation
trigged by cell damage. Causes blood to flow to the area of
inflammation. Damaged tissues (mast cells) release histamine. Redness and
heat.
Vascular Permeability
Histamines cause capillaries to leak due to increased
osmotic pressure extravascularly and increased hydrostatic pressure
intravascularly.
Emigration
WBC, phagocytes and clotting factors escape from the capillaries
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Inflammation is an adaptive response to injury that brings fluid, dissolved substances and blood cells into the interstitial tissues where the invasion or damage has occurred. The inflammatory response is a sequential reaction to cell injury and the second line defence against invasion of pathogens. It neutralises and dilutes the inflammatory agent, removes necrotic materials, and establishes an environment suitable for healing and repair. Heat, radiation, trauma, chemicals, allergens or an autoimmune reaction may cause inflammation. The i(cid:374)te(cid:374)sity is depe(cid:374)de(cid:374)t o(cid:374) the se(cid:448)e(cid:396)ity of the i(cid:374)ju(cid:396)y a(cid:374)d the i(cid:374)ju(cid:396)ed pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)(cid:859)s (cid:396)ea(cid:272)ti(cid:448)e (cid:272)apa(cid:272)ity. Describe the pathophysiology of the inflammation and identify where it may. The inflammatory response begins when damaged tissues release histamines increasing blood flow to the area, causing vasodilation. Increased tissue perfusion, in turn, causes redness and warmth, as more red blood cells pass through the tissues, and blood (containing wbc or neutrophils as the first responders) (cid:272)a(cid:396)(cid:396)ies heat f(cid:396)o(cid:373) the (cid:271)ody(cid:859)s (cid:272)o(cid:396)e to the (cid:272)oole(cid:396) pe(cid:396)iphe(cid:396)al tissues.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers