Department
Course
Professor
Treatment for ALLERGIC and NON-ALLERGIC Rhinitis:
Corticosteroids
Mometasone and oral prednisolone are S4
Decongestants
oPseudoephedrine
Pseudoephedrine enters noradrenergic nerve terminals. It gets taken up into the synaptic
vesicles in exchange for noradrenaline. Noradrenaline then escapes into the cytosol in
which some of those are degraded by MAO. The remaining noradrenaline escapes via
uptake1 transpoter (i.e. NOT exocytosis) into the synaptic cleft in exchange for
pseudoephedrine to act on postsynaptic receptors
oPhenylephrine
Alpha1 agonist
oOxymetazoline
Alpha1 agonist and alpha2 partial agonist
oXylometazoline
Alpha2 agonist
Better side effect profile
The above decongestants are ranked on their propensity to affect one’s blood pressure from worst to best based on
their mechanism of action and delivery:
a) Pseudoephedrine because it causes release of NA
b) Phenylephrine (acts to a certain degree but doesn’t increase BP as much as pseudo)
c) Oxymetazoline (spray form, no go into systemic circulation)
d) Xylometazoline (spray form, alpha2 receptor not involved in BP)
Antihistamine
oCan be in oral or nasal form
oCan be sedating or non-sedating
oMechanism: Reversible competitive antagonism of histamine at H1 receptor to decrease vascular
permeability and increase smooth muscle relaxation
Leukotriene receptor antagonists
a. Montelukast
Mast Cell Stabilisers
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

It gets taken up into the synaptic vesicles in exchange for noradrenaline. Noradrenaline then escapes into the cytosol in which some of those are degraded by mao. The remaining noradrenaline escapes via uptake1 transpoter (i. e. not exocytosis) into the synaptic cleft in exchange for pseudoephedrine to act on postsynaptic receptors: phenylephrine. Alpha1 agonist and alpha2 partial agonist: xylometazoline. Antihistamine: can be in oral or nasal form, can be sedating or non-sedating, mechanism: reversible competitive antagonism of histamine at h1 receptor to decrease vascular permeability and increase smooth muscle relaxation. Mast cell stabilisers: azelastine (a nasal antihistamine with mast cell stabilising properties) Highly vascularised: composed of resistance (i. e. arterial sinusoids) and capacitance blood vessels (i. e. Highly vascularised: composed of resistance (i. e. arterial sinusoids) and capacitance blood vessels (i. e. venous sinusoids) The nasal venous sinusoids are richly innervated by sympathetic nerves in which noradrenaline is released upon stimulation of the nerves.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers