31 Pages
Fall 2015

Department
Advertising, Marketing & Public Relations
Course Code
AMB206
Professor
All

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 31 pages of the document.
AMB206: Social Marketing 01/12/2014
Lecture 1: Introduction
Social Marketing: Creating an outcome that’s better for society.
The adoption of commercial marketing activities as a means to induce behavioural
change in a targeted audience on a temporary or permanent basis to achieve a
social goal
Using political agendas to drive change
Not cause-related marketing (benefitting company/institution)
Continuum of Intervention
Education informs / Social marketing influences
Why social marketing is so hard
Be uncomfortable Risk rejection Reduce pleasure Give up looking
good
Be embarrassed Go out of their way Spend more time Spend more money
The social marketing task is to maximise the perceived benefits and minimise the
costs associated with the advocated change (decrease/deemphasise the barriers).
Find the good idea inside the bad behaviour to switch it and make a change
The benefits must outweigh the costs associated with the activity – harder with social
marketing (more time, money and effort to be invested with less returns)
Theory 1: Stages of Change
1. Pre-contemplation
Not thinking about making a change
2. Contemplation
Thinking about making a change, but have barriers and concerns
3. In Action
Actively preparing for or attempting the change
4. Maintenance
Committed to the behaviour and have no intention to return earlier behaviour
01/12/2014
Lecture 2: The Social Marketing Environment
“Man and society are interdependent, hence the quality of man's behaviour as an
individual and as a participant in his society is inseparable” – Dalai Lama
Social Marketing interventions need to fit within the consumer reality, not impose a
different reality
Consumers need to have the motivation, opportunity and ability to change their
behaviour
Environmental analysis
Designing a social marketing program starts with environmental research – what is
the competition?
To understand and monitor environmental factors
To predict the impact of these factors on the organisational unit’s performance
Consider the microenvironment and macroenvironment
Social marketing also aims to change the environment in which the individual
operates
Political-legal environment
Being alert to changes in legislation, government priorities, and the influence of
numerous pressure groups that lobby government
Economic environment
Behaviour can often be changed through economic pressure and incentives eg.
increasing taxes on cigarettes
Socio-cultural environment
Broad beliefs, values, social norms and subcultures
Persistent core values influenced by social institutions: family, church, etc.
Technological environment
Sometimes a technological innovation or enhancement supports behaviour change
or significantly contributes to a social issue through a new product eg. depression
apps, Wii games for physical rehabilitation

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
AMB206: Social Marketing 01122014Lecture 1: Introduction Social Marketing: Creating an outcome thats better for society. The adoption of commercial marketing activities as a means to induce behavioural change in a targeted audience on a temporary or permanent basis to achieve a social goalUsing political agendas to drive change Not causerelated marketing (benefitting companyinstitution) Continuum of Intervention Education informs Social marketing influences Why social marketing is so hard Be uncomfortableRisk rejectionGive up looking Reduce pleasuregoodSpend more timeBe embarrassedGo out of their way Spend more moneyThe social marketing task is to maximise the perceived benefits and minimise the costs associated with the advocated change (decreasedeemphasise the barriers). Find the good idea inside the bad behaviour to switch it and make a change The benefits must outweigh the costs associated with the activity harder with social marketing (more time, money and effort to be invested with less returns) Theory 1: Stages of Change 1. PrecontemplationNot thinking about making a change 2.ContemplationThinking about making a change, but have barriers and concerns 3.In ActionActively preparing for or attempting the change 4.MaintenanceCommitted to the behaviour and have no intention to return earlier behaviour01122014Lecture 2: The Social Marketing Environment Man and society are interdependent, hence the quality of mans behaviour as an individual and as a participant in his society is inseparable Dalai Lama Social Marketing interventions need to fit within the consumer reality, not impose a different realityConsumers need to have the motivation, opportunity and ability to change their behaviour Environmental analysis Designing a social marketing program starts with environmental research what is the competition? To understand and monitor environmental factorsTo predict the impact of these factors on the organisational units performance Consider the microenvironment and macroenvironment Social marketing also aims to change the environment in which the individual operates Politicallegal environment Being alert to changes in legislation, government priorities, and the influence of numerous pressure groups that lobby government Economic environment Behaviour can often be changed through economic pressure and incentives eg. increasing taxes on cigarettesSociocultural environment Broad beliefs, values, social norms and subculturesPersistent core values influenced by social institutions: family, church, etc. Technological environment Sometimes a technological innovation or enhancement supports behaviour change or significantly contributes to a social issue through a new product eg. depression apps, Wii games for physical rehabilitation
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit