GEOG2205 Study Guide - Final Guide: Australian Dollar, Neoliberalism, Competitive Advantage

65 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor
Essay Question Practice
Rebecca Myers
Exam Essay Question Practice
Ho a reet hages to Australia’s autootie aufaturig idustr e used to proide
insights into the concepts of globalisation and neoliberalism?
Changes
7 sa the losure of Australias last reaiig autooile fator
The car industry grew rapidly in the 1940s due to considerable support from the government
through itrodutio of tariffs, susidies et. → as see as a er iportat idustr for
adaig tehologial apait, the atios eooi deelopet ad trasportatio
improvements
From the 1970s the industry began to decline.
Around the same time, saw an increase in a neoliberalist reform of the economy adopted by the
government
Neoliberalism: Praises the benefits of the free market and promotes an agenda of free trade,
privatisation, deregulation and competition, and public spending restraint.
exemplified by the car industry as the government began decrease protection and support.
Although government assistance was provided to manufacturers to innovate (eg. Toyota hybrid
engine) to sustain industry, it was lessened comparative to other governments internationally and so
the industry was exposed to unfair competition.
Exasperating this was the combination of a high Australian dollar, low sales volume and high wages
placing pressure on the industry.
High wages was particularly pointed in the increasing globalised world.
Globalisation is the intensification of borderless (or cross-border) interactions, including trade,
collaboration and cultural exchange as facilitated by an increased technology and communicative
capabilities.
One of the most prominent results from the process of globalisation is the rise of the MNE, as
organisations have experienced a disaggregation of Chandlers 3 pillars of corporate form; nowadays,
management, marketing and production needless to be co-located, and rather, production takes
place where it is most economically viable for the country to do so.
This has led to the shiftig of aufaturig proesses to LDCs as laour osts are loer, hee
loerig osts. This proides reasoig for the pressure plaed o Australias ar idustry losing its
competitiveness.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Changes: (cid:1006)(cid:1004)(cid:1005)7 sa(cid:449) the (cid:272)losure of australia(cid:859)s last re(cid:373)ai(cid:374)i(cid:374)g auto(cid:373)o(cid:271)ile fa(cid:272)tor(cid:455, the car industry grew rapidly in the 1940s due to considerable support from the government through i(cid:374)trodu(cid:272)tio(cid:374) of tariffs, su(cid:271)sidies et(cid:272). (cid:449)as see(cid:374) as a (cid:448)er(cid:455) i(cid:373)porta(cid:374)t i(cid:374)dustr(cid:455) for ad(cid:448)a(cid:374)(cid:272)i(cid:374)g te(cid:272)h(cid:374)ologi(cid:272)al (cid:272)apa(cid:272)it(cid:455), the (cid:374)atio(cid:374)(cid:859)s e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)i(cid:272) de(cid:448)elop(cid:373)e(cid:374)t a(cid:374)d tra(cid:374)sportatio(cid:374) improvements. From the 1970s the industry began to decline. Around the same time, saw an increase in a neoliberalist reform of the economy adopted by the government. Neoliberalism: praises the benefits of the free market and promotes an agenda of free trade, privatisation, deregulation and competition, and public spending restraint. Exemplified by the car industry as the government began decrease protection and support. Although government assistance was provided to manufacturers to innovate (eg. toyota hybrid engine) to sustain industry, it was lessened comparative to other governments internationally and so the industry was exposed to unfair competition.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers