Biological Sciences
Course
BISC 102
Professor
Tom Haffie
Semester
Fall

Description
Lecture 10 – Meiosis Reason why meiosis I is "reductional" and meiosis II is "equational"  Zygotes bring DNA from two different parents into the same cell. (n+n=2n)  Homologous chromosomes carry the same genes but different alleles o Homologues have the same genes in the same places  Reductional Division = during meiosis 1, the number of chromosomes is reduced from diploid to haploid, the resulting daughter cells from the parent cell are haploid. o Meiosis I cells are haploid. Its reductional division because the number of chromosomes (2n  n) but the C-value is still 2C because there’s 2 DNA molecules per chromosome.  Equational = the amount of DNA is reduced “C-value” but the number of chromosomes is not (n) o In meiosis II, the cells divide to give the daughter cells “1C” the amount of DNA per chromosome. Changes in C and n during meiosis  In meiosis 1, chromosome number is reduced from diploid to haploid (n)  In meiosis II, the cells divide to give the daughter cells “1C” the amount of DNA per chromosome.  Mechanism of recombination during prophase  In prophase of meiosis I, replicated homologues pair and recombine!  Recombination: o The enzymes make the cuts in the homologues backbones to make the crossover between those 2 chromosomes. o Recombination is mutagenic because it cuts and pastes the DNA backbones to the other chromosome of the homologue. o The switch is very precise; the switch does not cause any problems. o Role of cohesin and synaptonemal complex  Cohesin = a protein that holds chromatids together  Synaptonemal complex = protein that holds homologues chromosomes together How homolgues pair in order for all non-sister chromatids to participate in recombination Mechanism by which recombination creates new combinations of alleles  C
More Less

Related notes for BISC 102

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit