EDUC 3P45 Exam prep
Reading Fluency – Lecture 7
What is reading fluency?
- Reading fluency is assessing reading beyond comprehension.
- Reading fluency is assessing the students reading rate
- Reading fluency is assessing the student oral reading rates and prosody
How do you record reading fluency?
- Reading Running Record
o You can record reading fluency through a reading running record,
which involves an examination of accuracy, decoding, reading rate,
Why do we have poorer readers?
- Poorer readers make fewer self corrections, over rely on graphonemic cues,
and make meaningless substitutions while reading.
What does Fluency mean?
- Being fluent means that you can read text quickly and accurately with proper
What does ‘Surface Fluency’ mean?
- Phonological decoding
- Sight word recognition
- Predict from context
- Predict from grammatical structure
What is ‘Strategic Fluency’?
- Strategic fluency is the students comprehension and expression
What is ‘Deep Fluency’?
- Deep fluency involves all of the previous skills
- It is a reflection for the purpose of the reading
- It involves self regulation
How can you calculate Oral Reading rates?
- To calculate oral reading rates you should have the student read 250 words
from an unfamiliar passage that is at their grade level and have them read
aloud for 1 minute. During this time you should be recording the reading
errors that occur. These reading errors could be mispronunciations,
substitutions, reversals etc.
- After they student has read for one minute, take the recorded reading errors
and subtract the total number of errors from the total number of words read
This will give you the students Word Count Per Minute (WCPM).
- You will then take this score and compare it against t