[ANTH 1001] - Midterm Exam Guide - Ultimate 10 pages long Study Guide!

239 views10 pages

Document Summary

My ta gave my class exam questions to focus on and i want to post my answeres to them. If you have any suggestions or feedback let me know. Excuse the spelling mistakes, thanks folks: the standard way of doing anthropology has been referred to as (cid:862)traditio(cid:374)al(cid:863) or (cid:862)(cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:448)e(cid:374)tio(cid:374)al(cid:863) (cid:862)a(cid:374)thropolog(cid:455)(cid:863) i(cid:374) this (cid:272)ourse. Traditional anthropology is the study of exotic culture usually small scale in order to understand them and preserve the culture. These small scale were referred to as primitive, barbaric and thought to represent the simpler stage of human evolution. These terms are unaccepted and discredited and now anthropologist identify the object of study, such as oral societies, kinship based societies, pre-industrial societies or pre-modern societies. Long term ethnographic fieldwork usually 1-2 years employing the method of participant observation. Participant observations being an active member of society, and documenting the experience.