8 Pages
Fall 2013

Department
Business
Course Code
BUSI 1402
Professor
All

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 8 pages of the document.
1402 Review
Information Systems (IS) is an integrated, man/machine system for providing information to support the
operations, management, and decision-making functions in an organization
The system utilizes computer hardware and software, manual procedures, management and decision
models, and a database
I = i (D, S, t)
Where
I = information, i = interpretation process,
D = data, S = setting/frame of reference, and
t = time available for the interpretation
S in the equation is the result of the life experience of the individual.
Hence, not every individual will receive the intended information even from simple data.
The infological equation has far-reaching implications for the development of information systems and
issues of knowledge, information, language, and human interpretation
The design, development, and management of information technologies, as well as their use by and
impact on individuals, groups, and organizations. Of particular interest are information technologies (and
their specific components) that enable communication, collaboration, and decision-making.
Knowledge workers work with and produce information as a product
Information Systems activities focus on the effective and successful integration and use of information
technology systems in organizations
Requires a broad understanding of information technology and the management, strategy, structure,
processes, and information requirements of organizations
Puzzles
Set of circumstances in which there is no ambiguity whatsoever once some thought has been given to
what is happening or needs to be done
Messes
A set of circumstances in which there is extreme ambiguity and in which there may well be
disagreement
There is a whole range of possible definitions and descriptions of what is going on, and there may
be no way of knowing whether a solution exists at all
Problem Space: initial current state, the goal state and possible states in between
Problem solving as an everyday activity
People make decisions every day to solve problems that affect their lives
Problems may be:
Unimportant:
what to watch on TV
Important:
choosing a new profession
Analysis: Using data to make decisions depends on an organization’s ability to collect, organize, and
otherwise transform data into information that can be used to support those decisions
Steps in Problem Solving
Identify the problem
Understand the problem
Identify alternative ways to solve the problem
Select the best way to solve the problem from the list of alternative solutions
List instructions needed to solve the problem using the selected solution
Evaluate the solution
Problems do not always have straightforward solutions
Some problems can be solved with a series of actions [Algorithmic Solutions]
Balancing a cheque book or baking a cake
Others require reasoning built on knowledge and experience, and trial and error [Heuristic
Solutions]
Buying the best stock or expanding a business
Most problems require a combination of the two kinds of solutions
Ideal for complex and time-consuming algorithmic solutions
Computer Program
The set of instructions to produce the correct result
Coded in a particular computer language
Team
A group whose members are selected based on a variety of criteria to perform a common task
Teams have many of the advantages (and disadvantages) of any group
Are difficult to start and must be managed in order to start quickly
Need individuals in order to succeed
May not work well with the existing organization
Need clear direction
Need leaders
4 stages of teamwork
1. Forming
a. This is basically a ‘meet and greet’ session
b. Team should clarify their goals
c. Set rules to for how the team will function
2. Storming
a. Conflict ensues over the direction of the team and over leadership
b. Organization starts to emerge
c. Some ‘turf’ and power struggles may arise
3. Norming
a. Cohesion and communication
b. Agreement on the team’s direction and leadership
4. Performing
a. Finally the team begins to work on the assigned task
b. Members know their role and specific contribution
A virtual team possesses all the qualities of a collocated team (task interdependence, common goals), but
is geographically and temporally distributed and uses communication technology as the primary vehicle of
coordination
Geographically Distributed
Working in different places
Cultural and normative differences between team members
Temporally Distributed
Working in different time zones
Technology Mediated Communication
Many technologies exist (as discussed in this class) but text-based communication remains dominant (i.e.
email, chat, etc)
Differences in working face to face versus virtually can be informed by studying the characteristics of the
media channel
Synchronicity: the ability of communicators to time their message and feedback delivery
Presence: the state of being immediately available
Reach: the extent to which a media channel allows communicators to send messages to large numbers of
recipients who may be physically and temporally distributed.
Symbol variety: the number of channels and cues available in a given media through which a message
may be communicated
Rehearsability: the extent to which message sender can carefully formulate a message before delivering
it
Reprocessability: the extent to which a medium enables communicators to revisit messages sent and
received in the past
Web 2.0 is a radical democratization of the internet brought about by the development of software that lets
ordinary users to participate and express themselves on the Web.
Ordinary people can upload their photos, videos, stories, etc. and have the community judge them in the
spirit of meritocracy.
The user as centre of the virtual universe
Simple design
Ease of use
Low learning curves
All users can participate, organize, read, write and play online
User generated content is value-add
The more people contribute the better the network effect and the use of collective intelligence
Traditionally software is released as a packaged product
Patches and Upgrades always follow
Some better at doing it than others
Software can be delivered as a Service
Patches and upgrades will be out of the users’ concerns
New features can be pilot-tested immediately before adding them
Software will be a perpetual beta
Never a finished product!
Constantly evolving
Syndication
Sharing, not controlling
RSS (Really Simple Syndication) facilitates the sharing of content
A Mashup is a web application that combines data from more than one source into a single integrated tool
Of special interest for marketers
This is what One-on-One Marketing is all about
The long tail consists of the less popular interests of users
Adding them up these non-mainstream interests far outnumber the popular ones!
(25 – 40)% of Amazon.com sales come from the long tail
Serve not only popularity but fringe as well
Youtube
48 hours of video uploaded per minute
> 3 billion videos are viewed per day
“More video is uploaded to YouTube in one month than the three major U.S. networks created in 60 years”
Most traffic comes from outside the U.S.
present in 25 countries across 43 languages.
800 million unique users visit each month.
Reached 1 trillion video views in 2011
Bookmarking
Movement to organize data in the public sphere
Social Bookmarking sites focus on managing and sharing information
Examples include
Del.icio.us, Furl, Blinklist, Magnolia, StumbleUpon
You can bookmark almost everything
Web sites, articles, blogs posts, podcasts, images, etc.
Taxonomy: “classification of [things] into an ordered system that indicates natural relationships”
Bottom-up classification resulting from social tagging
Relationships between tags are inferred based on usage patterns
Tagging is done independently
Tags are aggregated

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
1402 Review Information Systems IS is an integrated manmachine system for providing information to support the operations management and decisionmaking functions in an organizationThe system utilizes computer hardware and software manual procedures management and decision models and a databaseIi D S tWhereIinformation iinterpretation process Ddata Ssettingframe of reference and ttime available for the interpretationS in the equation is the result of the life experience of the individual Hence not every individual will receive the intended information even from simple data The infological equation has farreaching implications for the development of information systems and issues of knowledge information language and human interpretationThe design development and management of information technologies as well as their use by and impact on individuals groups and organizations Of particular interest are information technologies and their specific components that enable communication collaboration and decisionmakingKnowledge workers work with and produce information as a productInformation Systems activities focus on the effective and successful integration and use of information technology systems in organizationsRequires a broad understanding of information technology and the management strategy structure processes and information requirements of organizationsPuzzlesSet of circumstances in which there is no ambiguity whatsoever once some thought has been given to what is happening or needs to be doneMessesA set of circumstances in which there is extreme ambiguity and in which there may well be disagreementThere is a whole range of possible definitions and descriptions of what is going on and there may be no way of knowing whether a solution exists at allProblem Space initial current state the goal state and possible states in betweenProblem solving as an everyday activityPeople make decisions every day to solve problems that affect their livesProblems may beUnimportantwhat to watch on TVImportant choosing a new professionAnalysis Using data to make decisions depends on an organizations ability to collect organize and otherwise transform data into information that can be used to support those decisions Steps in Problem SolvingIdentify the problemUnderstand the problemIdentify alternative ways to solve the problemSelect the best way to solve the problem from the list of alternative solutionsList instructions needed to solve the problem using the selected solutionEvaluate the solutionProblems do not always have straightforward solutionsSome problems can be solved with a series of actions Algorithmic SolutionsBalancing a cheque book or baking a cakeOthers require reasoning built on knowledge and experience and trial and error Heuristic Solutions
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit