Psychology (730)
PSYC 1001 (147)
Chris Motz (17)

1001 Midterm 1 Study Guide.doc

2 Pages
Unlock Document

PSYC 1001
Chris Motz

Introduction to the Study of Psychology PSYC1001 Midterm #1 Study Guide NOTE: This is intended as a general guide to help focus your studying efforts. You are still responsible for reading the assigned chapters and attending the lectures. There will be questions on the midterms and the final exam that cover material from the textbook, and from the lectures. Not everything in the textbook is in the lectures, and not everything in the lectures is in the textbook. However, there is some overlap between the textbook and the lecture material – thus, it is tough to say exactly what percentage of the questions come from either the textbook or the lectures. But a good rule of thumb would be 40% of the questions are lecture questions and 60% of the questions are textbook questions. Midterm #1 will cover the material in chapters 1 and 2 from the textbook, and the lecture material from the start of the semester up to the end of the “Psychology of Academic Success” material. I will make this explicit in class and on the lecture notes. General Tips:  There will not be questions that test knowledge of dates.  Chapter 1 contains some information about several of the “big names” in the history of Psychology – for these individuals (specific names are noted below) you will be required to know their theories and ideas – but not any biographical information.  There is a section at the end of chapter 1 that focuses on “Improving Academic Performance” and “Developing Critical Thinking Skills” (second edition pages 34 to 40) – this is an excellent section that focuses on strategies for approaching academic success. I strongly encourage you to read this section (for your own personal benefit) – but it will not be tested on the midterm. Lecture Material:  All of it.  No dates.  If a name was important enough for me to discuss it in my lecture slides, then you should be able to associate that name with their ideas (i.e. Rotter and Weiner). Chapter 1: • What is Psychology? • What were some of the early approaches to studying human nature? • Know each of the different approaches to Psychology (i.e. Structuralism, Functionalism, Behaviourism, Psychodynamic, etc.).  What are the ideas of each  approach?  How do they study people? • Imagine that you are a researcher, or a clinical psychologist, working in each of the sub-fields (“specialized areas”) of Psychology – what might be the focus of your research? How might you explain behaviour and mental processes? • For each of these domains (or sub-fields) of Psychology – what approach are they taking to the study of Psychology? What types of research do they do? What theories or ideas have been proposed? • For each of the "big names" in chapter 1 (Wilhelm Wundt, Edward Titchener, William James, Charles Darwin, John Watson,  Sigmund Freud, B.F. Skinner, Carl Rogers, Abraham Maslow, Donald Hebb) – what theory or theories did they propose?  What were their perspectives on  Psychology (or on the nature of "the person")? o You will NOT need to know any personal information about these people (just their ideas). • Yes, you should know the featured study on bullying behaviour. • What are the Seven Key Themes? We essentially cover these in class, but you should also know what the textbook ha
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 1001

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.