Psychology
Course
PSYC 1002
Professor
Caleb Lloyd
Semester
Winter

Description
Core Concepts Stress Appraisal of stress – primary (is this affecting me? Harmful?) vs. secondary appraisal (if yes, do I have the resources to cope with the situation?) Hardiness – Commitment, control, and challenge Coping with Stress – Problem-focused (thinking of problem, dealing with problem – git ’er done) vs. Emotion Focused (dealing with the emotional reaction to the problem – watch a movie to feel better) coping Approach (dealing with things directly) vs. Avoidance (in all situations is bad – avoiding a problem) coping EVENT – irrelevant stressfull benign – challenge vs harm – if challenge face it – if harm can I deal? Review: Stress Coping and Health  The way we cognitively interpret our environment impacts our physical state  Individuals less likely to perceive a life event as threatening during primary appraisal are less likely to be impacted by stress  There are at least 2 dimensions of coping strategies  The best strategy depends on the situations, yet Approach > Avoidance  Social support is an important coping resource that influences health outcomes Psychopathy Abnormality – Norm Violation (is this acceptable to others), Statistical Rarity (does this occur infrequently), Personal discomfort (am I upset by this behaviour and its consequences), Poor consequences/maladaptive (does this behaviour have an objectively poor outcome/maladaptive (does this behaviour have an objectively poor outcome?) 5 Axes of the DSM 1 – Clinical Syndrome 2 – Personality Disorders 3 – LEARN THEM Main anxiety Disorders  Generalized anxiety disorders  Panic Disorder  Phobias  PTSD  Obsessive-compulsive disorder Bipolar vs. Disorder Much less common compared to depression, with .8-1,6% Men and women equal to get it, age of onset is later, associated with greater life difficulties, more likely to run in families, two disorders possibly have different causes Schitzophrenia – a disorder of thought and language  Both positive and negative symtpoms seem based in unusual thinking about experiences  Odd ways of expressing inner states, self-meaning, etc. Positive symptoms (somethings there that shouldnt)  Presence of something typically absent  Delusion, hallucinations, bizarre behaviour Negative symptoms (something lacking  Absence of something typically present  Social withdrawal, lack of meaningful speech, flat affect What should a diagnosis be?  Consistent (it should mean the same thing to everyone)  Meaningful – It should identify something validly different about the person, all those diagnosed should have the same prognosis, and similar treatment options The Benefits of Diagnosis  Supplies a description of phenomena  Allows communication between professionals & researchers, provides shared vocabulary  Research depends on classification  Allow
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 1002

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit