PSYC (800)

3604 Mid2 Study Guide.doc

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 3604
Professor
Chris Motz

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
PSYC3604 – Midterm #2 Study Guide
This is for the multiple-choice section and the short answer section. This is intended as only a general
study guide. You are still responsible for reading the assigned chapters & lecture notes.
In general…
I will not test your knowledge of dates. (no dates)
I will not test your knowledge of names.
oHowever, there will be some individuals for whom you will need to know their
theories/ideas – for these individuals, I will give you their names in the Study Guide.
oIn addition, you will occasionally see a question that has a researcher’s name in the body of
the question. In these cases, the question could have been written without the name, but I
am merely giving you the name as an extra memory cue (i.e. I’m not actually testing your
memory of the name, but rather I’m testing your understanding of the research and giving
you the name to help your memory).
I will not test your knowledge of statistics. Thus, you will not see a question that asks you whether
the prevalence rates for a particular disorder are 2% or 3%. However, you should know “general
trends” (i.e. is a disorder more common in males or females).
You will not need to know the “Extraordinary People” story at the beginning/end of each chapter.
As I’ve discussed in class… Anytime I give the diagnostic criteria for a disorder in the lecture
notes, then use this and ignore any information from the textbook about the diagnostic criteria.
Other than this, all of the textbook info is still good (i.e. the textbook will still provide valid
information about the nature of the disorder and the symptoms, the research on etiology, and
treatment, etc.).
Lecture Material
All of it. (note: I will embed specifics into the chapters below)
Chapter 5 (and lectures)
What is Psychotherapy, and what are the different types of Psychotherapy?
What are the biological treatments? What are their strengths and limitations? Social impact?
NOTE: You will not need to know specific drug names (i.e. chlorpromazine, page 135), but you
will need to know the general categories/types/classes of drugs (i.e. neuroleptics).
Drugs – the categories/types/classes – what they are, what they do, their effects, what they are used
to treat, and side effects (limitations). My recommendation for this is to put all of this information
into chart form.
You do not need to know figure 5.1 (page 139).
Herbal medicines – the general concept, strengths and limitations
Electroconvulsive Therapy
Psychosurgery
Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
Psychodynamic Therapy – what is involved? What are its strengths and limitations? What are
some of the issues and concerns involved? What are some of the factors of which a psychotherapist
should be aware?
You can ignore page 146.
Humanistic Therapy – what is involved? What are its strengths and limitations? What is a
humanistic therapist trying to do? What is Client-Centered Therapy? How does this work?
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version