SOCI 1005- Midterm Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 92 pages long!)

194 views92 pages

Document Summary

Social inequality- a condition in which members of society have different amounts of wealth, prestige, or power. Stratification- a structures ranking of entire groups of people that perpetuates unequal economic rewards and power in a society. Achieved status- a social position that a person attains largely through his or her own efforts. Slavery- a system of enforced servitude in which some people are owned by others as property. Caste- a hereditary rank, usually religiously dictated, that tends to be fixed and immobile. Estate system- a system if stratification under which peasants were required to work land leased to them by nobles i exchange for military protection and other services. Class system- a social ranking based primarily on economic position in which achieved characteristics can influence social mobility. Social mobility- moveme(cid:374)t of i(cid:374)di(cid:448)iduals or groups fro(cid:373) o(cid:374)e positio(cid:374) i(cid:374) a so(cid:272)iet(cid:455)"s stratifi(cid:272)atio(cid:374) s(cid:455)ste(cid:373) to a(cid:374)other.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers