CS Chapter 7 Study Guide
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1) Throughput, the actual speed of data transfer that is achieved in a network, is usually 1)
A) more than the data transfer rate. B) the same as the data transfer rate.
C) dependent on the cable's bend radius. D) less than the data transfer rate.
2) One can thwart most hacking problems by installing a 2)
A) security policy. B) firewall. C) hub. D) network.
3) All of the following are reasons for using a powe- line network instead of an Ethernet network 3)
A) you are experiencing interference with a wireless Ethernet network.
B) you don't need to run new wires with a power l-ne network.
C) power l-ne networks cost less.
D) power l-ne networks can be easier to install.
4) The most likely method a hacker would use to access a computer is 4)
A) entering through the Internet.
B) entering through a company intranet.
C) sitting down at a computer and installing hacking software.
D) overhearing your password and/or log on-information.
5) A network that has ten or more nodes is usually configured as a 5)
A) peer to peer network. B) client/server network.
C) WAN. D) home network.
6) Most __________ allow you to connect wireless and wired computers to the same network. 6)
A) servers B) transceivers
C) wireless routers D) modems
7) Which of the following is formally defined as any criminal action perpetrated primarily through 7)
the use of a computer?
A) social networking B) hacking
C) phishing D) cybercrime
8) If you frequently transfer large data files between nodes on a network, which of the following 8)
networks would be the best choice?
A) dial-up B) wireless C) Ethernet D) power -ine
9) What is the best thing a company can do to prevent its electronic data from being stolen? 9)
A) disconnect employees' computers from the Internet
B) install hidden cameras
C) establish detailed security policies
D) shut off access on computers to flash drives
1 10) Sophisticated networks generally use which of the following hardware devices to ease the flow of 10)
data packets throughout the network?
A) network interface cards (NICs) B) firewalls
C) routers and switches D) USB ports
11) How many viruses and virus variants exist today? 11)
A) thousands B) hundreds C) tens D) millions
12) A computer network is defined as two or more computers connected with __________ so that they 12)
can communicate with each other.
A) software and hardware B) the Internet
C) hardware D) software
13) In a client/server network, there are usually many more __________ than __________. 13)
A) servers, clients B) printers, computers
C) clients, computers D) clients, servers
14) A(n) __________ allows sharing of a broadband Internet connection. 14)
A) adapter B) hub C) router D) phone cord
15) Network adapters 15)
A) are built into the motherboard on each node.
B) enable nodes in a network to communicate with each other.
C) are always Ethernet NICs.
D) are necessary only on servers in a client/server network.
16) Which of the following is a program that appears to be something useful or desirable but at the 16)
same time does something malicious in the background?
A) a Trojan horse B) a virus C) a zombie D) a worm
17) Which of the following is NOT an example of a network node? 17)
A) an NOS B) a computer C) a modem D) a printer
18) Networks allow users to share 18)
A) flash drives. B) phones. C) peripherals. D) paper.
19) Due to the expansion of media files on home computers, __________ options are now being 19)
marketed; however, they are not as full featured as their business-world counterparts.
A) external hard drive B) mega flash drives
C) home server D) online storage
20) Most computers today contain network adapters installed inside as expansion cards. Such adapters 20)
are referred to as
A) ethernet cards. B) network expansion cards.
C) network adapter cards. D) network interface cards.
2 21) The purpose of Network Address Translation is to 21)
A) hide user IP addresses from the Internet.
B) dynamically assign IP addresses via an ISP.
C) convert logical ports to physical port configurations.
D) translate IP addresses from the Internet.
22) Maximum cable run (length) for Ethernet networks using UTP cable is approximately: 22)
A) 50 feet. B) 1,100 feet. C) 550 feet. D) 328 feet.
23) Distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks have been associated with 23)
A) theft of financial data at the IRS.
B) attacks on famous blogs, eBay, and Amazon.com.
C) identity theft.
D) misuse of credit card information.
24) A packet sniffer is a program that can enable a hacker to do all of the following EXCEPT 24)
A) use your debit card information to purchase items illegally.
B) launch a denial of service (DoS) attack on your computer.
C) assume your identity.
D) steal your logon and passwords for various accounts.
25) Which of the following devices translates electronic data into radio waves? 25)
A) a transceiver B) a receiver
C) a fiber-optic cable D) a modem
26) Which transmission medium is able to transmit data the fastest? 26)
A) wireless B) twisted-pair cable
C) fiber-optic cable D) coaxial cable
27) Manufacturers such as Linksys, D L-nk, and Netgear make which of the following devices that can 27)
double as firewalls?
A) networks B) modems C) NICs D) routers
28) Rules for creating passwords include all of the following EXCEPT 28)
A) keep your password written down, and put it in your wallet.
B) create a hard- - guess password, with a combination of letters and numbers.
C) change your password frequently.
D) keep your password a secret.
29) Network architectures are classified according to 29)
A) the bandwidth supplied by the connection.
B) the speed at which the processor runs.
C) the way they are controlled and the distance between their nodes.
D) the distance between the hub and the router.
30) __________ makes broadband users more vulnerable to attacks.. 30)
A) IP addressing B) Dynamic addressing
C) Greater bandwidth D) Static addressing
3 31) When setting up a network, you should set up any computers running the Microsoft Vista 31)
C) only before any computers running Linux.
D) The order does not matter.
32) Which of the following classifications of viruses changes its own code? 32)
A) worm B) stealth C) multipartite D) polymorphic
33) To improve communication effectiveness in a wireless network, you can do all of the following 33)
A) move your computer next to a cement wall.
B) move the computers in the network closer together.
C) add a wireless access point (WAP) to the network.
D) reposition the computer you are using.
34) The major difference in types of P2P networks is the __________ by which the nodes are 34)
A) network interface card B) transmission medium
C) port D) software
35) Quarantining with regard to computer protection is defined as 35)
A) repairing the infected file.
B) deleting the infected file.
C) placing a found virus in a secure area on the hard drive.
D) updating your antivirus software.
36) The most popular transmission medium option for wired Ethernet networks is 36)
A) coaxial cable. B) power -ine cable.
C) unshielded twisted pair cable (UTP). D) fiber optic cable.
37) Which of the following is necessary to send data between a home network and the Internet? 37)
A) a cable B) a switch C) a hub D) a router
38) Public places where you can wirelessly connect to the Internet are known as 38)
A) gateways. B) links. C) wired spots. D) hotspots.
39) Ethernet networks are named for 39)
A) the type of transmission medium used.
B) the type of NIC installed in every node.
C) the type of operating system installed on every node.
D) the protocol used.
40) Which of the following devices is needed to share an Internet connection on a wireless network? 40)
A) a fiber-optic cable B) a modem
C) a wireless router D) a wireless hub
4 SHORT ANSWER. Write the word or phrase that best completes each statement or answers the question.
41) File Transfer Protocol uses port __________. 41)
42) All 802.11g devices work on a bandwidth of __________ GHz. 42)
43) __________ is a process used by firewalls to assign internal IP addresses on a network. 43)
44) The 802.11 wireless standard is also known as __________. 44)
45) A(n) __________ network uses radio waves as its transmission medium. 45)
46) __________ cable is made up of copper wires twisted around each other and is used in