Department
Commerce
Course Code
COMM 210
Professor
Karim Boulos
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
James C. Collins and Jerry I. Porras: Building your Company’s Vision
“Companies that enjoy enduring success have core values and a core purpose that remain fixed while
their business strategies and practices endlessly adapt to a changing world”
Core ideology: Enduring character; glue that holds the organization together as it grows,
decentralizes and expands globally. Captures what you stand for and why you exist. (Consists of
core values & core purpose). Core ideology is a consistent identity that transcends product or
market life cycles, technological breakthroughs, management fads and individual leaders.
Core values: Beliefs about what is important in the long-term. Timeless guiding principles, rarely
if ever change. Intrinsic values inside the organization, excludes anything external. A company
should never change its core values; they must always remain true to them.
Core purpose: Inspiration for people who work there. It is not just about making profits, it’s
about finding a reason why you come in to work every day and produce. It is the reason why
people enjoy innovating and not just working for a paycheck. Reflects people’s idealistic
motivation for doing the company’s work. Why are we here? A group of people get together so
they are capable to accomplish something collectively that they could not accomplish separately.
Discovering your Core Ideology:
Must be authentic.
Must be meaningful and inspirational only to the people inside.
Once established, everything else that is not part of the core ideology should change and
adapt to market changes.
Core ideology should not change in response to market changes.
Getting people to share the core ideology.
- Sony’s ideology: We shall welcome technical difficulties and focus on highly sophisticated
technical products that have great usefulness for society regardless of the quantity involves: we
shall place our main emphasis on ability, performance, and personal character so that each
individual can show the best ability and skill.
** Don’t confuse core ideology with the concept of core competence. Core competence is a
strategic concept that defines your organization’s capabilities- what you are particularly good at-
whereas core ideology captures what you stand for and why you exist.
Envisioned future: BHAGs (big hairy audacious goal)
Audacious, vivid goals stimulate progress
10 to 30 year audacious goal plus vivid descriptions of what it would be like to achieve the
goal.
Spur passion & team spirit
Inventing such a goal forces and executive team to be visionary rather than strategic or tactical.
Difficult but not impossible to achieve
Companies need to build a strong organization with people capable of achieving the goals
Avoid the “We have arrived” syndrome which is an organization who achieved their BHAG but
failed to replace it with another.
•Vision Level
- Companies often use a bold mission called BHAG
- There’s a difference with having a goal and setting yourself a huge challenge like climbing
Mount Everest
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com James C. Collins and Jerry I. Porras: Building your Company’s Vision “Companies that enjoy enduring success have core values and a core purpose that remain fixed while their business strategies and practices endlessly adapt to a changing world” • Core ideology: Enduring character; glue that holds the organization together as it grows, decentralizes and expands globally. Captures what you stand for and why you exist. (Consists of core values & core purpose). Core ideology is a consistent identity that transcends product or market life cycles, technological breakthroughs, management fads and individual leaders. – Core values: Beliefs about what is important in the long-term. Timeless guiding principles, rarely if ever change. Intrinsic values inside the organization, excludes anything external. A company should never change its core values; they must always remain true to them. – Core purpose: Inspiration for people who work there. It is not just about making profits, it’s about finding a reason why you come in to work every day and produce. It is the reason why people enjoy innovating and not just working for a paycheck. Reflects people’s idealistic motivation for doing the company’s work. Why are we here? A group of people get together so they are capable to accomplish something collectively that they could not accomplish separately. • Discovering your Core Ideology: – Must be authentic. – Must be meaningful and inspirational only to the people inside. – Once established, everything else that is not part of the core ideology should change and adapt to market changes. – Core ideology should not change in response to market changes. – Getting people to share the core ideology. - Sony’s ideology: We shall welcome technical difficulties and focus on highly sophisticated technical products that have great usefulness for society regardless of the quantit
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit