Study Guides (283,404)
CA (135,393)
Concordia (2,139)
COMM (409)
COMM 210 (25)
Study Guide

[COMM 210] - Final Exam Guide - Ultimate 69 pages long Study Guide!
Premium

69 Pages
Fall 2015

Department
Commerce
Course Code
COMM 210
Professor
Karim Boulos
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 69 pages of the document.
Concordia
COMM 210
FINAL EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Evolution & Revolution as Organizations Grow
Larry Greiner
Article #1
*CLAIM: In order for a company to be able to progress and move on, it must go through
phases of evolution and revolution and constantly be changing its organizational structure.
The 5 phases: They each being with a period of evolution which is characterized by
steady growth and stability, which in its turn leads to revolution that is characterized by a
changing organizational structure.
If a company successfully resolves their stage of revolution determines if they will move on
to the next stage of evolution.
There are 5 key dimensions on organizational development:
1. Age of the Organization
The life span of a company determines the number of organizational practices that
have been used. It is found in the research that “managerial problems and
practices are rooted in time”
ex. The practice of decentralization cannot be applied for too long, at some point
practices are going to change and the management is going to have to adapt to
it.
2. Size of the Organization
The more the number of employees and volume of sales, the more the
management is going to have to change its organizational structure.
find more resources at oneclass.com
3. Stages of Evolution
Companies that survive a crisis usually enjoy 4 to 8 years of continuous growth
before falling into a revolution. Evolution is used because only slight changes
should be applied in order to solve the problems encountered during this period.
4. Stages of Revolution
Revolution part of an organization can be described as “a serious upheaval of
management practices”. Revolution is an important part of the game because to
get out of it, management must find new ways to lead their company and let go of
the past procedures that seemed to be working so well. What is even more ironic
is that the new procedures adopted end up becoming the basis of the upcoming
problem of the company.
5. Growth Rate of the Industry
Evolution can last much longer and an industry that is not as evolving as another.
Basically, the more an industry is growing, the faster the companies in that industry
will be going through evolution and revolution. Also, when the industry is poor and
there is not much money to be made in that industry (or market) revolution tends to
be much more severe.
The 5 phases of Evolution and Revolution
1. CREATIVITY
The first phase of evolution is characterized by creating both a new product and a
market for that product. The founders of the company are usually
entrepreneurially oriented or technically oriented. They dedicate their time to
making and selling the new product. The communication between the owners and
the employees is very frequent and informal. The long hours of work injected in the
company by both the owners and the employees are not properly equated to the
salary they make at the end of the day. Promises of ownership are made to
employees. Management is very sensitive to the customer’s response because they
don’t want to miss out on any sales. Creative activities are essential for the

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
[COMM 210] Comprehensive Final Exam guide including any lecture notes, textbook notes and exam guides.find more resources at oneclass.com Evolution & Revolution as Organizations Grow Larry Greiner Article #1 *CLAIM: In order for a company to be able to progress and move on, it must go through phases of evolution and revolution and constantly be changing its organizational structure. The 5 phases: They each being with a period of evolution which is characterized by steady growth and stability, which in its turn leads to revolution that is characterized by a changing organizational structure. If a company successfully resolves their stage of revolution determines if they will move on to the next stage of evolution. There are 5 key dimensions on organizational development: 1. Age of the Organization The life span of a company determines the number of organizational practices that have been used. It is found in the research that “managerial problems and practices are rooted in time” ex. The practice of decentralization cannot be applied for too long, at some point practices are going to change and the management is going to have to adapt to it. 2. Size of the Organization The more the number of employees and volume of sales, the more the management is going to have to change its organizational structure. 1 find more resources at oneclass.com
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit