EXCI 251 Final: final study guide

108 Pages

Department
Exercise Sci.
Course Code
EXCI 251
Professor
panenic

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 108 pages of the document.
Chapter 1: Part 1
Wellness: The New Health Goal
Health: the overall condition of body or mind and the presence or absence of illness or
injury
o Health-or some aspects of it- can be determined or influenced by factors beyond
your control, such as your genes, age, and family history
Wellness: optimal health and vitality, encompassing the six dimensions of well-being
o Wellness is largely determined by the decisions you make about how you live
Enhanced wellness, therefore, involves making conscious decisions to control risk factors
that contribute to disease or injury
Age and family history are risk factors you cannot control. Behaviors such as smoking,
exercise, and eating a healthy diet are well within your control.
The Dimensions of Wellness
Experts have defined six dimensions of wellness:
o Physical
o Emotional
o Intellectual
o Interpersonal
o Spiritual
o environmental
Each dimension of wellness affects the others. Further, the process of achieving wellness
is constant and dynamic, involving change and growth. Ignoring any dimensions of
wellness can have harmful effects on your life.
Physical Wellness
Your physical wellness includes not just your body’s overall condition and the absence of
disease but your fitness level and your ability to care for yourself
The higher your fitness level, the higher your level of physical wellness will be
To achieve optimal physical wellness, you need to make choices that will help you avoid
illnesses and disease
Emotional Wellness
Reflects your ability to understand and deal with your feelings
Emotional wellness involves attending to your own thoughts and feelings, monitoring
your reactions, and identifying obstacles to emotional stability
find more resources at oneclass.com
Intellectual Wellness
Those who enjoy intellectual (or mental) wellness constantly challenge their minds
An active mind is essential to wellness because it detects problems, find solutions, and
directs behavior
These people never stop learning; they continue to learn new things throughout their
lifetime
They seek out and relish new experiences and challenges
Interpersonal Wellness
Defined by your ability to develop and maintain satisfying and supportive relationships
Such relationships are essential to physical and emotional health
Social wellness requires participating in and contributing to your community, country,
and world
Spiritual Wellness
To enjoy spiritual health is to possess a set of guiding beliefs, principles, or values that
give meaning and purpose to your life, especially during difficult times
The spiritually well person focuses on the positive aspects of life and finds spirituality to
be an antidote for negative feelings such as cynicism, anger, and pessimism
Many people find meaning and purpose in their lives on their own through nature, art,
meditation, political action, or good works or with their loved ones
Environmental Wellness
Defined by your livability of your surroundings
Personal health depends on the health of the planet from the safety of the food supply to
the degree of violence in society
Your physical wellness either supports your wellness or diminishes it
Other Aspects of Wellness
Occupational wellness refers to the level of happiness and fulfillment you gain through
your work
o An occupationally well person truly likes his or her work, feels a connection with
others in the workplace, and has opportunities to learn and be challenged
o Other aspects of occupational wellness include enjoyable work, job satisfaction,
and recognition from managers and colleagues
o To achieve occupational wellness, set career goals that reflect your personal
values
Financial wellness refers to your ability to live within your means and manage your
money in a way that gives you peace of mind
o It includes balancing your income and expenditures, staying out of debt, saving
for the future, and understanding your emotions about money
New Opportunities, New Responsibilities
Infectious disease: a disease that can spread from one person to another; caused by
microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses
o Leading causes of death a century ago
o Medical and social situation now provides improved prevention, health education,
and treatment
Chronic disease: a disease that develops and continues over a long period of time; usually
caused by a variety of factors, including lifestyle factors
o The leading causes of death today
o People do have some control over whether they develop chronic diseases
o People make choices every day that either increase or decrease their risks for such
disease. These lifestyle choices include behaviours such as exercise, smoking, and
alcohol use.
More time watching TV = increased risk of obesity and diabetes
Cigarette smoking = increased risk of lung cancer
Low intake of fruits and vegetables leads to increased risk of heart disease
Fewer healthy behaviours increase the risk of heart disease
National Wellness Goals
The Action Statement for Health Promotion (1996) refocused attention onto the need for
Canadians to value health. The statement recognized seven specific strategies for
development were outlined:
1. Health promotion addresses health issues in context. It recognized that many
individual, social, and environmental factors interact to influence health. It searches
for ways to explain how these factors interact in order to plan and act for the greatest
health gain.
2. Health promotion supports a holistic approach that recognized and includes the
physical, mental, social, ecological, cultural, and spiritual aspects of health
3. Health promotion requires long-term perspective. It takes time to create awareness
and build understanding of health determinants.
4. Health promotion supports a balance between centralized and decentralized decision-
making on policies that affect people where we live, work, and play,
5. Health promotion is multisectoral. While program initiatives often originate in the
health sector, little can be done to change unhealthy living conditions and improve
lifestyles without the support of other people, organizations, and policy sectors.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 1: Part 1 Wellness: The New Health Goal Health: the overall condition of body or mind and the presence or absence of illness or injury o Healthor some aspects of it can be determined or influenced by factors beyond your control, such as your genes, age, and family history Wellness: optimal health and vitality, encompassing the six dimensions of wellbeing o Wellness is largely determined by the decisions you make about how you live Enhanced wellness, therefore, involves making conscious decisions to control risk factors that contribute to disease or injury Age and family history are risk factors you cannot control. Behaviors such as smoking, exercise, and eating a healthy diet are well within your control. The Dimensions of Wellness Experts have defined six dimensions of wellness: o Physical o Emotional o Intellectual o Interpersonal o Spiritual o environmental Each dimension of wellness affects the others. Further, the process of achieving wellness is constant and dynamic, involving change and growth. Ignoring any dimensions of wellness can have harmful effects on your life. Physical Wellness Your physical wellness includes not just your bodys overall condition and the absence of disease but your fitness level and your ability to care for yourself The higher your fitness level, the higher your level of physical wellness will be To achieve optimal physical wellness, you need to make choices that will help you avoid illnesses and disease Emotional Wellness Reflects your ability to understand and deal with your feelings Emotional wellness involves attending to your own thoughts and feelings, monitoring your reactions, and identifying obstacles to emotional stability
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit