1) Initiate ERP
2) Gloves and visual scan
3) Approach the athlete and stabilize the head
- What happened?
- Open your eyes!
- Where does it hurt?
- Move your fingers (squeeze hands, move feet)
- Mouth guard, gum?
- Broken teeth?
- Take a deep breath, any pain or difficulty?
- Any irregularity in pulse
- Major bleeds
1) DEFG should be taken if it’s a spinal, before vitals
Alert or not
Neck or back pain
Palpation of spinous processes and vertebral column
Cord Sign (bilateral squeeze of hands and moving feet) (ASK ABOUT THIS, WE DO IT
Numbness/Tingling/Burning in arms and/or legs
Dermatomes and myatomes
No positive signs but still neck or back pain, call 911
2) Full head to toe delayed if they’re conscious until determined if going on spinal board or not
3) After 911 has been called
1) Cervical collar
3) Remove equipment
4) Take and record baseline vitals (ASK IF ON WE DO THIS WHILE THEYRE STRAPPEDIN) (every
5 minutes, give O2 when they’re on spinal board, and take SAMPLE history, prevent/treat
for shock, keep warm, mention O2, and reassure the athlete)