Premium

4 Pages

Department
Exercise Sci.
Course Code
EXCI 252
Professor
Robert Panenic

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Chapter 7
Designing Resistance Training Programs
(Pages 181-218) Part 1
What is resistance training?
A systematic program of exercise for the development of the muscular system
What are the health benefits of resistance training?
- Increased muscular strength
- Increased muscular endurance
- Builds bone mass: increase in bone density & bone strength, counteracts loss of
bone mineral, decreases the risk of falls with age
- Increase in size and strength of ligaments and tendons
- Lowers BP in hypertensive individuals
- Increase in fat-free mass
- Decreases fat mass & relative body fat
- May prevent the development of low back syndrome
What are some of the properties that are used to classify muscle fibers?
- Color
- Speed of contraction
- Strength
- Fatigue resistance
- Energy source
How are slow-twitch, intermediate, & fast-twitch muscle fibers different from each
other based upon these properties?
Characteristics
Slow-Twitch
Fibres (Type
I)
Intermediate Fibres
(Type IIA)
Fast-Twitch Fibres (Type IIX)
Colour
Red
Red / White
White
Contraction Speed
Slow
Moderately Fast
Very Fast
Strength
Low
Medium
High
Fatigue Resistance
High
Fairly High
Low
Principal Energy
Source
Aerobic
Aerobic / Anaerobic
Anaerobic
Which protein structures compose individual muscle fibers?
Myofibrils
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 7 Designing Resistance Training Programs (Pages 181-218) Part 1  What is resistance training? A systematic program of exercise for the development of the muscular system  What are the health benefits of resistance training? - Increased muscular strength - Increased muscular endurance - Builds bone mass: increase in bone density & bone strength, counteracts loss of bone mineral, decreases the risk of falls with age - Increase in size and strength of ligaments and tendons - Lowers BP in hypertensive individuals - Increase in fat-free mass - Decreases fat mass & relative body fat - May prevent the development of low back syndrome  What are some of the properties that are used to classify muscle fibers? - Color - Speed of contraction - Strength - Fatigue resistance - Energy source  How are slow-twitch, intermediate, & fast-twitch muscle fibers different from each other based upon these properties? Characteristics Slow-Twitch Intermediate Fibres (TypeFast-Twitch Fibres (Type IIX) Fibres (Type I) IIA) Colour Red Red / White White Contraction Speed Slow Moderately Fast Very Fast Strength Low Medium High Fatigue Resistance High Fairly High Low Principal Energy Source Aerobic Aerobic / Anaerobic Anaerobic  Which protein structures compose individual muscle fibers? Myofibrils  Identify physical activities in which slow-twitch muscle fibers or fast-twitch muscles fibers predominate. - Slow twitch: endurance activities. Ex: jogging - Fast twitch: strength and power. Ex: sprinting  How does resistance training increase muscle strength? - Hypertrophy of the muscle fibers - Muscle learning  What do hypertrophy, hyperplasia, and muscle learning mean? - Hypertrophy: an increase in the size of a cell or tissue  larger muscle fibers - Hyperplasia: increase in number of muscle fibers - Muscle learning: body’s ability to recruit motor units  increases strength even before muscle size increases  How does resistance training hypertrophy skeletal muscle? - First 2-8 weeks: rapid increase in strength due to neural adaptations. No difference in rate of progression between males and females - 8-10 weeks: muscle hypertrophy contributes more than neural adaptation to strength gains, but hypertrophy eventually levels off. Greater hypertrophy in males due to testosterone - Greater than 6 months: contributes to increase strength without hypertrophy. Believed that a secondary phase of neural adaptation is most likely responsible for strength gains occurring between 6-12 months of training. Hypertrophy may be limited to no more than 12 months  Does resistance training preferentially increase the size of one fiber type over another? Preferentially increases the size of fast-twitch muscle fibers most responsive to a strength stimulus  Does resistance training increase the number of muscle fibers? - no  What is a motor unit? - Makes up the functional unit of movement - Made up of a nerve cell called an alpha motor neuron connected to a number of muscle fibers - To exert force: the body recruits one or more motor units to contract.  W
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit