Study Guides (251,480)
CA (122,868)
Concordia (1,837)
PSYC (117)
PSYC 333 (6)
Study Guide

[PSYC 333] - Final Exam Guide - Ultimate 68 pages long Study Guide!
Premium

68 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 333
Professor
Stephane Gaskin

This preview shows pages 1-4. Sign up to view the full 68 pages of the document.
Description
Concordia PSYC 333 FINAL EXAM STUDY GUIDE find more resources at oneclass.com Chapter 1: History, Theory, and Research Strategies BASIC ISSUES IN DEVELOPMENT Theory 1. A set of statements that describes, explains, and predicts behavior. Three Basic Issues in Development 1. Continuous or Discontinuous Development Theories? a) Continuous: i. Gradual augmentation of the same type of skills that were there to begin with. b) Discontinuous: i. New ways of understanding and responding to the world that emerge at specific times: Theories that accept the discontinuous perspective see development as taking place in stages: o Qualitative changes in thinking, feeling, and behaving that characterize specific periods of development. 2. One Course of Development or Many Courses? a) Does everyone go through the same developmental course? b) Context: i. A unique combination of personal and environmental circumstances that can result in different paths of change. ii. Contexts that shape development are manylayered and complex. 3. Relative Influence of Nature and Nurture? a) Naturenurture controversy: i. Are genetics or environmental factors more important? b) Theories: i. Stability theory: Stresses the importance of heredity: o Individuals who are high or low in a characteristic will remain so at later ages. ii. Environment theory: Stresses the importance of early experiences: o Powerful negative events in the first few years cannot be fully overcome by later, positive ones. iii. Plasticity theory: Stresses that development is open to change in response to influential experiences. THE LIFESPAN PERSPECTIVE: A BALANCED POINT OF VIEW Development find more resources at oneclass.com
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-4 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit