Quiz 2 review.docx

3 Pages

Department
International Develop Studies
Course Code
INTD 2001
Professor
Theresa Ulicki

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
Quiz review: Tiessen and Heron reading: • since 2005 Canadian volunteers abroad have increased from 2,50 to 8,500. • When volunteering is under 6 months it helps personal growth but not the NGO.  • students are able to take a lot of breaks and get to do things locals are not able to  do while working, which creates inequality.  • money that can be given directly to the country is being used on air fair and for  students to do the work for them. this is taking opportunities away from locals.   Chapter 2  • 14  century and on – Spanish, French, British and Portuguese founded colonial  posessions in the Americas while their holds on Africa/Asia continued to grow.  • scholars believe economic motives lithed to the industrial revolution launched the  classic ‘high’ imperialism of the 19  century.  Expansion of European empires  was set out as a way to search for ner markets and new investments/consumers.  Defining imperialism: th 1. imperialism as an era – European expansion beginning in the 16  century and the  era of high imperialism between 1870 – 1914.  2. imerpialism as an economic system – which a state pursues external investment  and penetration of markets and sources of raw materialism – neocolonialism –  that colonies are still heavily reliant/remain subject to their previous colonial  rulers today. 3. imperialism as political systems  ­ such as those of Britain’s empire, colonies are  ruled from central seat of power.   • late 19  century imperial boosters applied Darwin’s theory of evolution to all  human societies  ▯European peple represented a more evolved type of human  while darker skinned humans were still surviving earlier forms of humans.  Stop Trying to Save Africa • keep a child/ I am Africa campaign is an example of celebrity lead/promoted  organizations that depict/promote stereotypes of Africa as disease filled black  holes of death.  • media focuses on negative aspects like corrupt leaders and “tribal” conflicts  rather then anything good about the continent.  • Nigeria uprising – 100 killed 200,000 displaced.  The western media  commented on violence but not how state and local government provided  humanitarian aid for survivors without international help.  Social workers in  Nigeria helped survivors the most and they got no recognition however when  celebrities do a few weeks of aid work they get praised for it.  Ethical Volunteer Guide 7 questions to ask pre volunteering: 1. what work will I do? How many hours a day will I work? Volunteers are  dissatisfied when they didn’t do what they paid/planned to do. 2. does the organization work with local partner organization? work with community  not impose on them, what partner and their relationship with them, why is the  project valued? 3. financial contributions to volunteer programs/ how much? clear figures of where  your money is going.  4. policies on economical/ethical tourism? How are they implemented? Long term  commitment plans? local staff and is what I’m doing needed? 5. time frame the programme runs on – will it continue when I leave?  6. precise contact details for your chosen program – relationship between host  organization… 7. support/training received? not only about labour but culture and ongoing? is  somebody di
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit