Premium

2 Pages

Department
Soc & Social Anthropology
Course Code
SOSA 2502
Professor
Emma Whelan

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Mid-Term Exam Review
Format
Multiple choice and long answer
40 marks
Concepts and theories
Important people
Info that has been repeated
Info in bold
Readings: text book chapters and case studies
Material
Technological determinism: argument that technology precedes and drives social
development; technology can be intrinsically oppressive or liberating
Nature vs. culture in biomedical model: nothing about medical knowledge is culture
laden; but there are many critiques to this
AIDS is a social construction:
o Our knowledge of AIDS is social
o 3rd position: cannot distinguish between AIDS itself and our knowledge of
AIDS, and AIDS knowledge is purely social so refuting the position of
positivism that we can directly access nature
Positivism: have faith in science because you can directly access nature, positive
knowledge of the world; proposition between the faith and reality, the root to true
knowledge of reality through science
Picture of fetus: is affected by society and thus affects us; society influences
technology and then technology influences society gives new importance to the
pro-life movement because it shows fetus as a separate thing from the mother that
can have
Foucault:
o Marx: power is something you have
o Foucault: power is a relationship within positions in society
o Wherever there is power there is resistance looks at subtle forms of power
(Panopticon example being watched so you come to watch yourself)
o Resistance: doing anything unexpected; refuse what we are being classified
as in the society we live in; refusing the categories that are placed upon us
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Mid-Term Exam Review Format 1. Multiple choice and long answer 2. 40 marks 3. Concepts and theories 4. Important people 5. Info that has been repeated 6. Info in bold 7. Readings: text book chapters and case studies • • Material 1. Technological determinism: argument that technology precedes and drives social development; technology can be intrinsically oppressive or liberating 2. Nature vs. culture in biomedical model: nothing about medical knowledge is culture laden; but there are many critiques to this 3. AIDS is a social construction: 1. Our knowledge of AIDS is social rd 2. 3 position: cannot distinguish between AIDS itself and our knowledge of AIDS, and AIDS knowledge is purely social so refuting the position of positivism that we can directly access nature 4. Positivism: have faith in science because you can directly access nature, positive knowledge of the world; proposition between the faith and reality, the root to true knowledge of reality through science 5. Picture of fetus: is affected by society and thus affects us; society influences technology and then technology influences society – gives new importance to the pro-life movement because it shows fetus as a separate thing from the mother that can have 6. Foucault: 1. Marx: power is something you have 2. Foucault: power is a relationship within positions in society 3. Wherever there is power there is resistance – looks at subtle forms of power (Panopticon example – being watched so you come to watch yourself) 4. Resistance: doing anything unexpected; refuse what we are being classified as in
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit