Department
Soc & Social Anthropology
Course Code
SOSA 2502
Professor
Emma Whelan
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Exam Format
26(ish) multiple choice
2 long answer
Review:
Gadow (self-body dialect)
Priary iediay: efore you get sik, take ody for grated; lied ody
Disrupted immediacy: self constrained by body in illness; body in conflict with the
self; ojet ody
Cultivated immediacy: adapt to body; transcendence of conflict and opposition
etee self ad ody; reoiliatio etee lied ody ad ojet ody
Aesthetic immediacy: some people never get to; appreciation of the body as having
its own perspective, its own self; both have a claim on the person; self gives up its
priay; sujet ody
Medicine defines problems as induvial problem, as natural
ADHD is a social problem because it exists in a social setting, mostly in a classroom,
but we make it an individual problem to be treated with drugs
Critiques of Parson Consensus Model
Assumption that everything works well; doctors and patients know how to behave;
doctors role is to integrate patients back into the community
Parsons admitted that doctor-patient relationship is problematic because doctors
cannot always get people well again (ex. Patients that have chronic illness)
o Does not work well with chronic problems
Doctors and patients do not always conform to their roles
Biopsychosocial model
Being ill involves more than what is going on in the body it is social as well as
physical
Increasingly recognized in disciplines holism
Biosocial model: physicians should incorporate different aspects of the patient
Critique: the way it gets used in health care is that a lot of your health is under your
control, part of your mental state (illness is a social or psychological choice people
make)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
• Exam Format 1. 26(ish) multiple choice 2. 2 long answer • • Review: • • Gadow (self-body dialect) 1. Primary immediacy: before you get sick, take body for granted; “lived body” 2. Disrupted immediacy: self constrained by body in illness; body in conflict with the self; “object body” 3. Cultivated immediacy: adapt to body; transcendence of conflict and opposition between self and body; reconciliation between “lived body” and “object body” 4. Aesthetic immediacy: some people never get to; appreciation of the body as having its own perspective, its own self; both have a claim on the person; self gives up its primacy; “subject body” • • Medicine defines problems as induvial problem, as natural 1. ADHD is a social problem because it exists in a social setting, mostly in a classroom, but we make it an individual problem to be treated with drugs • • Critiques of Parson Consensus Model 1. Assumption that everything works well; doctors and patients know how to behave; doctors role is to integrate patients back into the community 2. Parsons admitted that doctor-patient relationship is problematic because doctors cannot always get people well again (ex. Patients that have chronic illness) 1. Does not work well with chronic problems 3. Doctors and patients do not always conform to their roles • • Biopsychosocial model 1. Being ill involves more than what is going on in the body – it is social as well as physical 2. Increasingly recognized in disciplines – holism 3. Biosocial model: physicians should incorporate different aspects of the patient 4. Critique: the way it gets used in health care is that a lot of your health is under your control, part of your mental state (illness is a social or psychological choice people make) 1. Get studies of welfare models, and positive attitude on cancer ***victim- blaming 2. Patients do not like the idea that their illness has a psychological component – think that disease is all in their head 3. Increased medical surveillance over people – physicians gathering more information over you, which is a form of power (when patients confess their life in a doctor office, doctors can administer you more; making it politically problematic) • • Theorizing Race 1. Concept of race: makes you assume it is a thing 1. Non-critical position on the idea of race 2. Natural distinctions that mark people into categories 2. Racism: races may actually exist, even if you are racist 1. Does not problematize the categories of race but with the race themselves 3. No biological foundation for race, race is a result of social construction • • 3 models of disability 1. Property model: disability is a property of individual bodies 2. Relational model: overlap between chronic illness and disability; disability can be caused by chronic illness and can be caused by chronic illness 1. Suggests social disadvantage 2. Focus on disability
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit