Biology (Sci)
Course
BIOL 112
Professor
Joseph Dent
Semester
Summer

Description
Sample Questions lectures 5-8 NOTE: You may use the genetic code on p.267 of your book for these questions 1) The transforming principle is: a) DNA b. RNA c. The substance from the S strain that makes the R strain virulent d. a and b e. a and c 2) If Hershey and Chase labeled T2 phage with heavy, non-radioactive nitrogen (15 N) and radioactive sulfur (35 S) and infected bacteria, the new phage that emerge from the infected bacteria would have: a. radioactive DNA b. heavy protein c. radioactive protein d. b and c e. none of the above 3) If one strand of DNA is 5' CATTAGTAC 3', the complementary strand will be: a. 5' CATGATTAC 3' b. 5' CATTAGTAC 3' c. 5' GTAATCATG 3' d. 5' GTACTAATG 3' e. none of the above 4) If I have the following piece of partially double stranded DNA: 5' ATCG 3' 3' TAGCGGCATCCG 5' And I add DNA polymerase, dTTP, dGTP and dCTP, what will be the sequence of the nucleotides that will be added? a. 5 'ATCGCCGTAGGC 3' b. 5' GGCATCCG 3' c. 5' CCGT 3' d. 5' CCGTAGGC 3' e. 5' GGC 3' 5) If you find the following stretch of nucleic acid in a cell in S-phase, at what step in DNA synthesis is it? 5' …TTTT TTTTTTTTTTT… 3' 3' …AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA… 5' a. Before the primase acts b. Before polymerase III acts c. Before polymerase I acts d. Before ligase acts e. Synthesis is completed 6) Neurospora is haploid. Enzyme B converts ornithine to citrulline and enzyme C converts citrulline to arginine. b and c are recessive alleles coding non-functional version of the enzymes B and C respectively and B and C are the wild-type alleles. If I cross a Neurospora of genotype bC to a Neurospora of genotype bC, the F1 progeny will be able to grow on: a. arginine b. citrulline c. ornithine d. a or b e. a or c 7) Reverse transcriptase synthesizes a: a. DNA strand from a DNA template b. RNA strand from a DNA template c. RNA strand from a RNA template d. DNA strand from a RNA template e. None of the above 8) A transcript from this strand of DNA: 5' AGCTGGATACG 3' might be: a. 5' ACCUAUGC 3' b. 5' UAUCCAGCU 3' c. 5' CCAGCU 3' d. a and b e. b and c 9) If I take the tRNA that recognizes the codon 5' GCU 3' and mutate the 3' C of the anticodon of to a G, the tRNA will recognize the codon: a. CCC b. UGC c. GCG d. GCU e. CGU 10) An aminoacyl tRNA synthase will add what amino acid to the 3' hydroxyl of the wild type tRNA with the
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 112

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit