World of Chem: Food Midterm 2 Answers
Midterm 2 Answers
Which of the following is correct about vitamin E?
1. It has been shown to have some beneficial effect in the treatment of impotence
2. It has been shown to oxidize LDL cholesterol and prevent the formation of
3. It has been shown to promote the oxidative damages caused by ozone
4. Vitamin E supplements have not been shown to be effective in preventing
5. It is safe in large amounts because, being water soluble, it is readily excreted by
Which of the following statements concerning the structures of the components of food
1. Proteins are polymers of amino acids
2. Almost all fats contain carbon chains that are 6-8 carbon atoms in length
3. Starch is a polymer of glucose
4. Natural fats are derivatives of ethanol with short-chain acids
5. Proteins are all water-soluble so that they may be digested.
Both sugar and salt have essentially the same mechanism of action as preservatives.
Taste and smell, body growth and healing are linked to levels of zinc.
Osmosis accounts for the preservative action of salt and sugar.
A food labeled “no cholesterol” may be high in saturated fats.
Recent studies appear to indicate that obese individuals have elevated levels of leptin.
Considering the estrogen therapy issue for post-menopausal women, which of the
following are true:
1. Women taking estrogen versus those who do not, suffer a 20 fold increase in
2. The absolute risk of breast cancer in women over 50 years of age is 10 times
that of uterine cancer
3. The absolute risk of uterine cancer in women over 50 years is about 3%
4. Progestin protects against breast cancer
5. Estrogen with calcium supplements as a therapy helps bone mineralization
An individual who suffers from hemochromatosis generally has heart and liver
The statin drugs lower cholesterol by inhibiting an enzyme responsible for cholesterol
synthesis World of Chem: Food Midterm 2 Answers
A study with over 16,000 post-menopausal women taking estrogen/progestin concluded
1. Deaths due to heart attacks increased well over 60% by the use of
2. Heart disease with increased by 30%
3. Uterine cancer was decreased by 60%
4. Hip fractures increased by 30%
5. The study was halted because deaths due to uterine cancer increased about 50%
Which of the following statements best describes the mode of action of Xenical
1. It increases the metabolism of thermogenic brown f