Final Exam: Practice Questions Part IAnswer Sheet
Which poem and by who has oval or circle imagery?
- A.M Klein: “The Portrait of the Poet as a Landscape”
What is the moment of pause called in a poem?
What was the title of Sinclair Ross’memoir?
- Just Wind and Horses
What is the word for an extended metaphor?
Name one example of a false front in As For Me and My House
- Mrs. Bentley and Philip’s sexual identity: Philip likes boys and Mrs. Bentley has sexual desires
What word derived from ancient greek is used to describe “the return home”?
Which poem and by what author is seen as “corrective” to modernism?
- “David” by Earle Birney (brings the lyric eye back to modernism)
What are the two types of satire and what are the characteristics of each?
- Horation and Juvenallian
- Horation is more satirical, absurd, trivial events and expose triviality
- Juvenallian is more angry, formal, domineering and harsh combinations of humankind
What does pastoral mean?
- valorizes rural life
What are some characteristics of modern poetry?
- tame - new vs old
What is the difference between Modern, Modernity, and Modernism?
- modernity is the era
- modern is the sensibility typical of the era
- modernism is the aesthetic response to the era
What Canadian poet considered himself “the Messiah” and a friend to the gods?
- Irving Layton
What are some characteristics of imagism?
- direct treatment
- rhythmic but not robotic
- spare language
Name two of Earle Birney’s mentors
- Al Purdy
- Florence McNeil
What poem and by what poet is most known to be a model of imagism?
- Ezra Pound, “In a Station of the Metro”
What Canadian poet cultivated the “ego” of the poet? In what poem specifically do we see this?
- Irving Layton, “The Birth of Tragedy”
What poet (not read in class) is known to be a major figure of modernism?
- T.S Eliot
Which poets are considered the second generation Canadian modernists and what years were
they writing? What are some characteristics of the poetry of the second generation Canadian
- Birney, Wilson, Page, Layton
- World War II
- In order to make modernism new, must make it old again What does polypoton mean?
- the use of the same word but in a different way
- ex: strong/strength
What group was formed in 1932, what was the primary founding document of the group and
what would it be tackling?
- The Cooperative Commonwealth Federation (CCF)
- documents: The Regina Manifesto
- worker’s compensation, healthcare, unemployment insurance, etc.
What is the definition of an epic?
- supernatural elements
- founding of a culture
Which poem and by who is an attack on the older Canadian poets?
- “The Canadian Author’s Meet” by F.R Scott
Who published Anne Marriott’s first poem?
- J.F.B Livesay
Knopf made the cover of the Second Scroll a star of David, and this offended which Canadian
- A.M Klein
Which poet is known to be misogynistic?
- F.R Scott
Which poem won the Governor General’sAward in 1948 and by who?
- “The Portrait of the Poet as a Landscape” byA.M Klein
Which poem and by who makes an allusion to V