Final Exam: Practice Questions Answer Sheet Part II
What type of literature is Stephen Leacock’s Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town
considered? Who was a major influence of Stephen Leacock?
- sketch form
- major influence: Thorstein Veblen (The Theory of the Leisure Class)
What huge event occured in 1946?
- now says Citizen of Canada on your passport
Who was apart of the McGill Fornightly?
- Smith, Scott, Klein, Leo Kennedy, Leon Edel
Name one West Coast writer known to be extremely anti-natzis
- Earle Birney
Name twoAllusions in “Lakeshore” by F.R Scott
- Noah’s Arc and “The Love Song of J.Alfred Prufrock” by T.S Eliot
Who is David, in Earle Birney’s poem David
- Birney at 19
- his friend David who actually did die falling off a cliff
What council was created in 1957? What did they do?
- Canada Council for theArts (CCA): they gave out thousands of grants for cultural icons in
Canada in an attempt to foster national unity
Name one of P.K Page’s paintings.
- Planet Earth
What word was A.M Klein asked to change in one of his submissions and why?
- “soul”: was said to be too old fashioned
What is “documentary poetry”? Which poet is most known for this style?
- objective historical fact and subjectivity - Dorothy Livesay
What are some characteristics of a “Little Magazine”? Name one little magazine in Montreal and
the poets who wrote for it
- cheaply produced, often free, chose what goes into the magazine
- The McGill Fortnightly: Smith, Scott, Klein, Leo Kennedy, Leon Edel
- (or you could say Preview created by PartrickAnderson involvingAnderson, Sott, Page, and
Who was Irving Layton a mentor to? Which Canadian modernist poet was he most opposite to?
- Al Purdy, Leonard Cohen, Sid Marty
- most opposite to: P.K Page
Name 4 characteristics of the lyric:
- the “I”
What was Dorothy Livesay’s first book titled?