MUAR 211 (57)

MUAR 211 Quiz II Prep.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
Music-Arts Faculty
MUAR 211
Jerry M.Cain

MUAR 211 Quiz II Prep Quiz #2 Listening Guide Symphony No. 95 in C minor - Haydn 1 movement Genre: symphony Form: sonata 2nd movement Genre: symphony Form: theme and variations String Quartet No.30 in E-flat major – Haydn Genre: string quartet Form: rondo form Symphony No.40 in G Minor - Mozart Genre: string quartet Form: rondo form Piano Concerto No. 23 in A - Mozart Genre: concerto Form: sonata form Don Giovanni, Act I - Mozart Genre: opera buffa Form: recitative/aria Language: Italian *”Ho Capito” – aria “Alfin siam” – recitative “La ci darem la mano” – duet Symphony No.5 in C Minor, 1 movement - Beethoven Genre: symphony Form: sonata form General Terminology and Concepts Vienna, Austria: city most associated with Haydn (1732 – 1809), Mozart (1756 – 1791) and Beethoven (1770 – 1827) Esterházy family: patronage family for Haydn, one of Hungary’s richest families Patron/patronage/patronage system: musicians that served rich families, financial security Kappellmeister: orchestra master Haydn’s London concerts: London symphonies Invention of the piano: 1700 Bowed strings of the classical orchestra Violin viola Cello Double Bass Woodwinds of classical orchestra Flute Clarinet Double-reed Woodwind instruments Oboe Bassoon Brass Instruments of the classical orchestra Horn Trumpet Trombone Percussion: timpani Chamber music: social music making Tonality/functional tonality/tonal music: function of major/minor keys Key/Key area: a collection of pitches organized around the central pitch Chromatic Scale: includes all pitches Chromatic scale: includes all pitches Equal-temperament tuning: (refer to Quiz I Prep) Tonic: central p
More Less

Related notes for MUAR 211

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.