Short Answer Questions
1. Define homeostasis.
2. Distinguish between obligatory and facultative losses.
3. How does insensible perspiration differ from sweating? Do people without sweat glands still
experience insensible perspiration?
4. Compare the water content of a 250‐kg elite body builder and a 250‐kg amateur sumo wrestler, and
postulate why they might be different.
5. A group of geologists travel to the Himalayan Mountains to study rocks in the area. What effect would
these geologists experience in terms of fluid losses (if any)?
MCQs TYPE A (one out of the following 5 choices is CORRECT)
6. A 19‐year‐old male physiology student is excited to apply the material he's learned from the day's
lecture on body fluids. He attempts to classify the members of his family (including his parents, his 10‐
year‐old brother and himself) in decreasing order of water content as percent of total body mass.
a) student > brother > father > mother
b) brother > student > father > mother
c) student > brother > mother > father
d) brother > student > mother > father
e) None of the above is correct.
7. If an individual were to ingest 10 L of water through fluids and solids as a result of an ea