Physiology (94)
PHGY 311 (2)

More problems.pdf

3 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
PHGY 311
Ellis Cooper

Question 1: The two graphs below are results from a voltage clamp experiment and show: 1) the I-V curve for the peak voltage-gate Na current and the K current; and 2) the time for recovery of inactivation for the peak Na current, measured at -75 mV. a) What is the threshold for this neuron? (Be as accurate as possible.) b) What is the absolute refractory period? (Assume no change in K conductance from rest.) c) If a stimulus activates a 80 nS chloride conductance at rest, what is the new threshold at rest (assume that E = -ClmV). Explain how you arrived at all your answers. I-V Curve for peak Na and K currents nA 2 IK mV -100 -80 -60 -40 -20 20 40 60 80 100 -2 -4 -6 INa -8 -10 100 80 60 40 % of Maximum Recovery from Inactivation 0 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 TIME (ms) Question 2 This neuron has a resting G = 16 nS, a resting G = 2nS and G = 0. The resting V = - K - Na Cl m 70mV and E = K85 mV, E Na= +50 mV and Cl is passively distributed. The Table gives the results from a voltage-clamp experiment on this neuron. The left column is the membrane potential of the voltage step and the right column is the corresponding peak Na current. A) Plot the I-V for the peak Na current and for the K current (assume that G K remains constant at its resting value). B) Using the data from the voltage-clamp experiment, what is the maximum G Na for this
More Less

Related notes for PHGY 311

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.