Summary Reading 8
Language abilities of internationally adopted children from China during the early school
years: Evidence for early age effects?
Goal of study :
• To examine the language development of schoolage internationally adopted
children who had previously been evaluated by Gauthier and Genesee
o To determine if lags in language development during preschool evaluation
were still present in older IA children
• Third phase of longitudinal study
Why is language thought to be at risk with adoptees?
• Preadoptive environment
o Children may not experience their basic needs
o May involve abuse, neglect and inconsistent
• Many IA children discontinue exposure to and acquisition of the birth language
upon adoption and this abrupt termination of L1
o All of the children in the study discontinued exposure to L1
• Delayed onset of exposure to the adoption language
Why they might be advantaged in learning a new language?
• Adopted parents have higher than average levels of income and education
• There is evidence that early L2 learning is more successful then later L2
• They do not need to learn to acquire or process more than one language at a time
o Benefit from full exposure to their new language
Language development of IA children