COMMERCE 1BA3 Quiz: 1st week emails.pdf
Course CodeCOMMERCE 1BA3
I hope you enjoyed your much deserved holiday break. Please find attached the course outline
for 1AA3 - financial accounting - for the upcoming term.
Required (mandatory) course material consists of Pearson Financial Accounting loose-leaf text
with MyAccountingLab online access code for doing quizzes. The package is available only at
the McMaster bookstore for $90.00, and represents a significant cost savings over purchasing
from an on-line retailer. Please bring your textbook to class each day as I will be using questions
from the textbook on a regular basis.
Course materials are already available on the portal. I look forward to seeing you on Monday.
First of all, I would like to welcome you to 1AA3. It was nice meeting all of you yesterday and I
sincerely hope that you do well in this course. I am a firm believer that you get out of life what
you put into it. While you need to do the heavy lifting of studying and practising questions,
Aadil, my TAs, and I will do whatever we can to help you succeed.
1) First, I know that approximately 25% of the class has not taken accounting in high school. As
such, we will be offering voluntary extra tutorials on a weekly basis, starting this Saturday.
(Unfortunately, classrooms are fully booked during the week and Saturday is the only available
time.) The format of these weekly sessions will consist of: 50 minutes lecture, 10 minute break,
followed by 50 minutes going through problems. TIMES AND CLASSROOM LOCATION WILL BE
PROVIDED IN SEPARATE EMAIL IN NEXT DAY OR TWO.
2) I will be posting suggested end of chapter textbook questions on a weekly basis. The
solutions to all textbook questions are already posted on Avenue. In addition, there are many
other sources of practice questions available on Avenue, including on-line quizzes, on-line
tutorials, and prior year midterms and exams.
3) I strongly recommend that you come to each and every class. I have extensive experience
teaching senior level accounting courses, CPA exam prep courses, and real-world work
experience and will do whatever I can to ensure that your in-class time is a value-added
4) As noted in the course syllabus, weekly tutorials start next Monday. Unfortunately, due to
limited classroom space for these tutorials, you must go to your regularly scheduled tutorial
5) If you have any questions or are struggling with the material, please come see me during
office hours on Mondays and Thursdays. I am more than happy to sit down with you and
answer your questions.
6) The suggested practise questions for Chapter 1 consist of: S1-6, S1-7, S1-8, S1-9, S1-12, E1-
13, E1-15, E1-21, E1-22, E1-24, E1-25, E1-26, E1-28, P1-44A, P1-45A, P1-47A, P1-48A, and P1-
7) Finally, if you have not done so already, please purchase the hard copy textbook/My
Accounting Lab access code package from the bookstore this week. The cost is $90.00, which
represents a significant savings from the suggested list price. This package is only available at
hope you enjoyed your first week of class. A few reminder items as follows:
1) Saturday tutorials start tomorrow, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in TSH/B128. My IA, Aadil Merali,
will be leading tomorrow’s tutorial. The focus will be on debits/credits, T-accounts, and posting
journal entries to T-accounts. As noted in class, I strongly suggest that all students with no
accounting background attend these Saturday sessions.
2) Classes on Thursday, February 12th and Friday, February 13th will be cancelled (due to the
midterm on Friday, February 13th). The evening section which runs Mondays will be a two hour
class on Monday, February 9th ONLY from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
3) The time of the midterm on Friday, February 13th has been changed. It was 4:30 p.m. to 6:30
p.m. It will now be 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Rooms TBA.
4) Attached is an exercise I would like you to complete for next class. I will take up in class.
Please match each of the six scenarios – scenario 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 to one of the six company types
– A, B, C, D, E, F.
Have a good weekend.
Further to my previous email, optional tutorials (for those who have no accounting background)
will be on the following Saturdays:
1) Saturday, January 10 - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. - TSH B128
2) Saturday, January 17 - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. - TSH B128
3) Saturday, January 24 - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. - TSH B128
4) Saturday, January 31 - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. - TSH B128
4) Saturday, February 7 - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. - TSH B128
For those who have no accounting background from high school, I highly recommend you attend