Thursday October 25
1. Scripting (only focuses on verbal sayings, no physical components)
2. Emotion work. Deep acting – he is not necessarily happy, but you can’t sulk
while saying the HHT cheer. Don’t get personal transformation mixed up with
3. Scripting. The trainee is forced to say the joke because it is part of the script,
regardless of how genuine he feels it is. Personality transformation. He knows
the joke is not funny, although he still laughs at it. He must change his
personality based on whoever the client is. Emotion work; surface acting is
also incorporated into this, such as the smile.
4. Standardization of body movement. All service agents are required to act this
way. Deep acting. He might be nervous, but he is telling himself “be cool,
5. Problematic party. Management and customers are controlling the workers.
For example, if a customer complains, then the worker can get fired, so they
must work a certain way. Unpredictability. Not expecting client to respond in
that fashion. The CI agent cannot u