SLGY 2271 Final: Sociology of Families Final Exam Study Guide

164 views27 pages

Document Summary

Bind people to their society by combining individual experience to social structure. Rites of passage mark ones movement from one status to another (i. e. ; student to graduate). Van ganeep suggested three parts to rites of passage: separation from ones previous status, liminality (transitional rites, rites of incorporation into new status. *number of rites of transition reflects importance of ritual (getting married includes engagement, bridal shower, bachelor party, wedding, honeymoon) Rites of passage include; bridal showers, bachelor/ette parties, weddings, honeymoons. Goff(cid:373)a(cid:374): (cid:862) these a(cid:396)e (cid:373)ai(cid:374)te(cid:374)a(cid:374)(cid:272)e (cid:396)ites (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h a(cid:396)e used to gua(cid:396)a(cid:374)tee the (cid:449)ell-being of a relationship as if strength of bond deteriorates if nothing is done to celebrate (i. e. : wedding anniversaries) Rites of progression include; anniversaries, renewal of vows, divorce rituals, parting ceremonies. Engaged individuals are in the liminal state. However they actually serve to re-enforce typical gender roles. (i) (gift opening at co-ed shower; masculine men joke about gifts which reinforces male incompetence in shower rituals.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers