SOCI 2270 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Nuclear Family, Hypergamy, Cybersex

109 views22 pages

Document Summary

I(cid:374)troductio(cid:374) to di(cid:448)ersit(cid:455) i(cid:374) ca(cid:374)ada(cid:859)s fa(cid:373)ilies: variatio(cid:374)s i(cid:374) for(cid:373)s, defi(cid:374)itio(cid:374)s, a(cid:374)d. Theories patrizia albanese: delineate the overall trends in family composition and processes. All members of a particular census family live in the same dwelling. A couple may be of opposite or same sex. Children may be children by birth, marriage, or adoption regardless of their age or marital status as long as they live in the dwelling and do not have their own spouse or children living in the dwelling. Grandchildren living with grandparent(s) but with no parents present also constitute a census family: discuss the main problems in conceptualizing family life. At the same time, individual level explanations, like some more formal definitions, tend to stress the structural or compositional definition of the family. Be prepared to defend how theory influences our research and paradigms of family and how our research can lead to paradigm shifts: as our understanding or theory changes, so do our research questions.