ENGL 153 Midterm: Templates from They Say/I Say by Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein
Premium

7 Pages
Unlock Document

Department
English
Course
ENGL 153
Professor
George Grinnell
Semester
Winter

Description
Templates from They Say/ I Say by Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein Introducing What “They Say” (page 23)  A number of _______ have recently suggested that _______.  It has become common today to dismiss _______.  In their recent work, Y and Z have offered harsh critiques of _______ for _______. Introducing “Standard Views” (page 23-24)  Americans today tend to believe that _______.  Conventional wisdom has it that _______.  Common sense seems to dictate that _______.  The standard way of thinking about topic X has it that _______.  It is often said that _______.  My whole life I have heard it said that _______.  You would think that _______.  Many people assume that _______. Making What “They Say” Something You Say (page 24-25)  I’ve always believed that _______.  When I was a child, I used to think that _______.  Although I should know better by now, I cannot help thinking that _______.  At the same time that I believe _______, I also believe _______. Introducing Something Implied or Assumed (page 25)  Although none of them have ever said so directly, my teachers have often given me the impression that _ ._  One implication of X’s treatment of _______ is that _______.  Although X does not say so directly, she apparently assumes that _______.  While they rarely admit as much, _______ often take for granted that _______. Introducing an Ongoing Debate (page 25-28)  In discussions of X, one controversial issue has been _______. On the one hand, _______ argues _______. On the other hand, _______ contends _______. Others even maintain _______. My own view is that _______.  When it comes to the topic of _______, most of us will readily agree that _______. Where this agreement usually ends, however, is on the question of _______. Whereas some are convinced that _______, others maintain that _______.  In conclusion, then, as I suggested earlier, defenders of _______ can’t have it both ways. Their assertion that _______ is contradicted by their claim that _______. Capturing Authorial Action (page 38-40)  X acknowledges that _______.  X agrees that _______.  X argues that _______.  X believes that _______.  X denies/does not deny that _______.  X claims that _______.  X concedes that _______.  X demonstrates that _______.  X celebrates the fact that _______. Introducing Quotations (page 46)  X states “_______.”  As the prominent philosopher X puts it, “_______.”  According to X, “_______.”  X himself writes, “_______.”  In his/her book _______, X maintains that “_______.”  Writing in the journal _______, X complains that “_______.”  In X’s view, “_______.”  X agrees when he/she writes “_______.”  X disagrees when he writes, “_______.”  X complicates matters further when he writes, “_______.” Explaining Quotations (page 46-47)  Basically, X is saying _______.  In other words, X believes _______.  In making the comment, X urges us to _______.  X’s point that _______.  The essence of X’s argument is that _______. Disagreeing, With Reasons (page 60)  I think X is mistaken because they overlook _______.  X’s claim that _______ rests upon the questionable assumption that _______.  I disagree with X’s view that _______ because, as recent research has shown, _______.  X contradicts her-himself/ can’t have it both ways. On the one hand, she argues _______. On the other hand, she/he also says _______.  By focusing on _______, X overlooks the deeper problem of _______. Agreeing – With a Difference (page 61-64)  I agree that _______ because my experience _______ confirms it.  X surely is right about _______ because, as she may not be aware, recent studies have shown that _______.  X’s theory of _______ if extremely useful because it sheds insight on the difficult problem of _______.  Those unfamiliar with this school of thought may be interested to know that it basically boils down to _______.  I agree that _______, a point that needs emphasizing since so many people believe _______.  If group X is right that _______, as I think they are, then we need to reassess the popular assumption that _______. Agreeing and Disagreeing Simultaneously (page 64-66)  Although I agree with X up to a point, I cannot accept his overall conclusion that _______.  Although I disagree with much that X says, I fully endorse their final conclusion that _______.  Though I concede that _______, I still insist that _______.  Whereas X provides ample evidence that _______, Y and X’s research on _______ and _______ convinces me that _______ instead.  X is right that _______, but they seem on more dubious ground when they claim that _______.  While X is probably wrong when they claim that _______, they are right that _______.  I’m of two minds about X’s claim that _______. On the one hand, I agree that _______. On the other hand, I’m not sure if _______.  My feelings on the issue are mixed. I do support X’s position that _______, but I find Y’s argument about _______ and Z’s research on _______ to be equally persuasive. Signaling Who is Saying What (page 71-73)  X argues _______.  According to both X and Y, _______.  Politicians _______, X argues, should _______.  Most athletes will tell you that _______.  My own view, however, is that _______.  I agree, as X may not realize, that _______.  But _______ are real and, arguably, the most significant factor in _______.  But X is wrong that _______.  However, it is simply not true that _______.  Indeed, it is highly likely that _______.  X’s assertion that _______ does not fit the facts.  X is right that _______.  X is wrong that _______.  X is both right and wrong that _______.  Yet a sober analysis of the matter reveals _______.  Nevertheless, new research shows _______.  Anyone familiar with _______ should agree that _______. Embedding Voice Markers (page 74-75)  X overlooks what I consider an important point about _______.  My own view is that what X insists is a _______ is in fact a _______.  I wholeheartedly endorse what X calls _______.  These conclusions, which X discusses in _______, adds weight to the argument that _______. Entertaining Objections (page 82)  At this point I would like to raise some objections that have been inspired by the skeptic in me. She feels that I have been ignoring _______. “_______,” she says to me, “_______”.  Yet some readers may challenge the view that _______.  Of course, may will probably disagree with this assertion that _______. Naming Your Naysayers (page 83-84)  Here many _______ would probably object that _______.  But _______ would certainly take issue with the argument that _______.  _______, of course, may want to question whether _______.  Nevertheless, both followers and critics of _______ will probably argue that _______.  Although not all _______ think alike, some of them will probably dispute my claim that _______.  _______ are s diverse in their view that its hard to generalize about them, but some are likely to object on the ground that _
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 153

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit